• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Let's see some "Poor-boys".

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no doubts of your abilities to deal with anything that might arise Tom I just find these things amusing, it is good to see you post again and with good sources information as always.I wonder at times if synthetic pearls might be more in order for some though?

BillinOregon said:
It would be somewhat of a challenge to load a gun with that barrel length, eh, Capt. Jas.? Set the butt down here and then walk over there where the muzzle is ...

Yeah, try it sittin down! :rotf:

Tom,
Your eyes are still Sharp. This did start from a pattern of one like you reference. I do not follow in the mindset of those guns being quite that early. The owner of this thing originally ordered the barrel and had Fred inlet it into something "Virginia" so Fred put in this rifle stock butt profile. It was twisted every which way but right when I got it and I had to change a lot of what already had been done to make it work halfway.

I would have loved to have used that barrel to make an English waterfowling piece but the owner wanted more of a cobble that was made from such a barrel.

I still think its an impossible battle to try to define these modern terms since they originated so unofficially in the first place. I see no problem with this monstrosity remaining on this thread. :thumbsup:

We nor any other forum are not likely to come to a univeraly accepted standard of definitions for this or many other items, the best we can do is to stick with historicaly supported examples and any period detail/references we can find and shy away from speculation as much as possibly and above all leave the 21st century mindest/standards/ concepts out of the equation and try hard to not forget the P in the PC of whatever we are talikg about, I will get off of my soap box now......it was not an 18th century pc soap box as factory made nails/power saws/air guns were used to manufacture it :grin:

I'm working on an 18th century soap box now. Cut the tree down and waiting for the wood to dry. In the mean time I'm forging the nails. I'll make one for you too! I'll let you know when they are done. Maybe I'll get a lot of orders!!!!! HA!

Whoa, what happened to the pictures. I thought this post was about posting "poor boy" pictures. Let's see'em.

Not really a "Poor Boy". More of a "Just making ends meet Boy" :grin:

0bab77e8.jpg

Here's a plain .50 I have. It has a butt plate and toe plate, but no entry pipe, side plate, or muzzle cap. With a swamped 42" Getz barrel, Jim Chambers Large Siler lock, and Davis set triggers it is a great shooter.
IMGP0734.jpg

IMGP0735.jpg

there are some beautiful poor boys and a few well off poor boys ,but they are all really cool..thanks for sharing ..
capt jas love that leather butplate !! i am thinkg of scrapping my french buttplate and going with the shoeleather and clout nails..really like it..
mr brooks really cool pic i think that is an original pic ,but i have a feeling you could replicate that on a piece of wood that just came off the bandsaw... :grin:

mr brooks really cool pic i think that is an original pic ,but i have a feeling you could replicate that on a piece of wood that just came off the bandsaw...
I really like that old relic, it's one of the few guns I wouldn't consider selling. If I had the time I would make a copy of it. Maybe some day. :thumbsup:

mike ,could you possibly post your "liberty gun".i really like that one ..i am working on an oconnor gun replica but i keeping thinking to distress it and use it for my poor farmer/militia impression..

Flies Only said:
mike ,could you possibly post your "liberty gun".i really like that one ..i am working on an oconnor gun replica but i keeping thinking to distress it and use it for my poor farmer/militia impression..
It's/they are fowling guns....I'd have to clear this with roundball and lockjaw first......

OK, I just checked and they said I'm the greatest person to ever walk the earth and I'm more than welcome to post anything I would like. :rotf:
Here's one I built as if it were a restocked Carolina trade gun. 42" Hoyt barrel in 20 bore, Cherry stock, Carlona trigger guard and a part of the side plate. No buttplate. This gun weighed 5 1/2 lbs.
http://www.fowlingguns.com/gunforsale8.html

Here's another'n
New England "Liberty" gun. 46" longhammock in 20 bore. Walnut stock with an old dutch trigger guard and large germanic lock. No buttplate or sideplate. http://www.fowlingguns.com/gunforsale13.html

Here's another of my NE "Liberty" guns. 46" Getz 20 bore in curly maple. Old dutch trigger guard and English lock, no buttplate or sideplate. None of these guns have trigger plates either, .... at least I don't think they did. :idunno: http://www.fowlingguns.com/librty2.html

I have pictures of a couple original "Liberty" guns as well somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's/they are fowling guns....I'd have to clear this with roundball and lockjaw first.....

Forgot about me? :(

Mike,I have a gun a lot like that last one you showed, no butt piece but with bess like hand rail architecture, curly maple stock, and a guard cut way back and installed backward.The fore stock is chopped back with no entry pipe. The lock is original flint and marked EIC 1779 and signed "Moore".Curiously there is a beaver tail behind the tang.Fred cut a replacement fore stock and double drilled it.He said the gun had great "character" much like that nice old wreck you showed which I think is probably Western North Carolina and reminiscent of the Gillespies.I have always liked those old composite guns.I'm not really sure whether my old gun is militia or Native.
Tom Patton

hanshi said:
It's/they are fowling guns....I'd have to clear this with roundball and lockjaw first.....

OOOoops, sorry. :bow: I guy like me has a hard time keeping track of everybody who thinks he has less than stellar character..... :rotf:

Flies Only said:
thanks mike i really like those...thanks again,john
I think I forgot to point out that the last gun has some Dutch influenced carving at the juncture of the wrist and comb as well as French/Ducth influenced upper and lower forestock mouldings the full length of the forestock. A little bit of carving can go a long way to making a visually racey gun.

Mike Brooks said:
hanshi said:

OOOoops, sorry. :bow: I guy like me has a hard time keeping track of everybody who thinks he has less than stellar character..... :rotf:

Accepted. And I'll try to maintain a higher profile just to make it easier. :thumbsup:

Back