• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

French powder flask, "poor boy version"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We all know the elaborate powder flasks made in Sheffield with a body made of copper or brass.

Today I can show you a powder flask that is typically French in terms of decoration.
It is the cheaper version of the well-known powder flasks made of brass or copper. The flask body is made of zinc sheet and depicts a dying deer as a motif. It is, so to speak, the "poor boy version" of the well-known powder flasks from “good houses”. Plain common top with outside spring and adjustable charger. (Ryling number 962)

20231208_191419.jpg
20231208_191730.jpg

Thank you, @Powder Flask Collector , for showing these remarkable flasks! I like all of them!

I noted the coiled “hunter’s horn” on these flasks but had not heard the term, “parforce horn” before, and had to look it up. It’s good for the brain, to keep learning.

One question… the embossed scenes on these flasks show a lot of flintlocks. Is that just an artistic tradition, or do these flasks date back to the pre-percussion era? I had thought the two-piece sheet metal flasks were developed well into the 19th century, but I didn’t really know.

Thank you!

Notchy Bob

Back