• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Let the Games Begin!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go with Plum Brown. Much easier to use and produces a much nicer finish than Laurel Mountain Forge. I used the latter once and applied it to the letter of the directions and the result was disappointing. Blotchy and much more of a pitted look. The Plum Brown came out much smoother and uniform looking. Just my experiences mind, it's your gun, your choice.

Cold brown lasts. It’s IN the metal. Hot brown does not, it’s on the surface.
Smooth, glossy results can be had by starting with a smoother metal, carding every 3 hours, and reapplying.
It can also be boiled for a rust blue, with the same durability.

My guns finish has lasted fine so far, and it's been years since I did the hot brown. Even if it starts to fade or come off, it's easy to reapply. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on which process is best. I'm going to stick with what I know works, just as I'm sure you will. Let's let our new builder decide.

Sidney,
I’ve built well over a hundred longrifles and pistols, over the last 25 years.So I have some experience in the matter.
While earlier rifles were NOT browned, charcoal bluing, and left white were very common.
Today, we want something a bit more durable, because we don’t use them ever day, and store them mostly.
Though not correct, If a customer prefers a brown barrel, I’ll give him one…… cold browned. It’ll last forever.

I don’t know the chemistry behind it, but the brown is converted to a nice blue /black When boiled in distilled water. Again, much more durable, because it in the metal. Won’t rub off.
This needs to be a very smooth prep, like mentioned before.

Latest posts

Back