• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rookie Woodsrunner build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never having handled a flintlock, nor even knowing what a “lock” was, I decided to try a kit, rather than buy one retail. After much research and lacking confidence in building one from parts, I purchased a Woodsrunner in the white from Jim Kibler. It was meant to be a fall project, but I could not wait.

Having watched the Kibler videos, taken this one apart and reassembled it, and now knowing what tools would be required, I believe my next one will not be bought in the white.

The members of the Muzzleloading Forum have been a tremendous help. I do not think that a day goes by that I do not read your posts that ooze so much intelligence and help. Thanks!

I finished the Woodsrunner today, and these are some pictures.
Gorgeous !! Great job ! Enjoy ! :)

Never having handled a flintlock, nor even knowing what a “lock” was, I decided to try a kit, rather than buy one retail. After much research and lacking confidence in building one from parts, I purchased a Woodsrunner in the white from Jim Kibler. It was meant to be a fall project, but I could not wait.

Having watched the Kibler videos, taken this one apart and reassembled it, and now knowing what tools would be required, I believe my next one will not be bought in the white.

The members of the Muzzleloading Forum have been a tremendous help. I do not think that a day goes by that I do not read your posts that ooze so much intelligence and help. Thanks!

What wood stain did you use?

I second Hanshi. You did a great job with that one. If this is your first Flintlock, you might look up an article by Paul Valandingham on how to shoot flintlocks. Now the mere fact that you have a Kibler, with its excellently machined lock means that you should not have any problems shooting it, but a little more information never hurts. Have fun!

The Doc is out now. 😎

Three applications of Iron Nitrate with the application/heating/light sanding cycle each time (I did this to get a richer color)
That is very similar to what I did with mine, except with the addition of tannic acid. I was very happy with the color that came out!

I an in the same place! Have a carved Kibler on the way to me. Your work is outstanding! I may reach out to you for tips. Highest compliment I can say!

The Woodsrunner is not a snap together kit. It is already together when you get it. No snapping needed. It is more of a metal polishing exercise than woodworking. The wood only needs 220 grit sanding and finish. To look right all the metal, including the barrel, needs polishing.

The Woodsrunner is not a snap together kit. It is already together when you get it. No snapping needed. It is more of a metal polishing exercise than woodworking. The wood only needs 220 grit sanding and finish. To look right all the metal, including the barrel, needs polishing.

Great, all together. Eager to get started, of course! I have seen videos. Wood finishing. Need to be thinking about balls, patches, powder, and whatever else to shoot.

I have met a local ML guy, been in the hobby for 55 years. He offered to bring my new kit and help me get started. Nice to have a mentor.

And great friends on this Forum to help guide me. Thanks EC121 especially!

Thanks! Shooting is my next endeavor. Fortunately, I have a friend who hunts with Black Powder here in Tennessee, so will have a good instructor.
Mark, that is a beautiful rifle! You did a great job! I'm just the opposite. I'm learning to shoot. Then will work on a build.

This past September we held the 1st NW Alabama Meet n Greet. It's not a rondy or shooting match. It's just a chance to connect and learn. We decided we had so much fun we will have 2 per year. One in spri g and another in the fall. My place is north of Florence just south of the Tennessee line. It's free and I have a 50yd range on site. Maybe you are close enough to attend! I learned a LOT this past September!

Looks great, you are giving me the courage to try to do one myself, lol.
Do it. The only work is filing down the casting lines in some of the brass. The rest goes together easily. Kiblers are the very best, His machining the inlets in the stock are fantastic! It just easily fits together especially the woodsrunner.

Latest posts

Back