• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Second Kibler completed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've just completed my second Kibler long rifle. This time a 54 Cal colonial, stocked in cherry. I also tried some carving. I know It may not be the best example of caving, But it's mine and I'm satisfied.
Also added a little brass embellishment to the patch box, cheek rest and a toe plate. Then use Jax Black on the brass and the barrel.
Again, like my first It's finished with a lye solution, 1 TSP of lye powder to a pint of water Then 6 coats of hand rubbed Lin speed oil and 2 coats of wax.
I found then COLONIAL a little more challenging then the SMR. In addition the colonial is quite a bit heaver.

Now I think I'm addicted and have ordered a 54 cal WOODSRUNNER stocked in Cherry with full incised carving . I should have it in a few weeks.

Attachments

• Left side.JPG
    Left side.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • right side.JPG
    right side.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • patch box side.jpeg
    patch box side.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 0
  • toe plate.jpg
    toe plate.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 0
  • patch box.jpeg
    patch box.jpeg
    64 KB · Views: 0
Thank you all.
Adam in WI, Cherry is a beautiful wood. But, we'll need super sharp tools to carve it. Cherry is a little softer the Maple. Chisels seem to cut smoother with harder woods. If you chisel are not sharp, because Cherry being softer, they will tend to drag or rip the wood. Specially on curves. I made that mistake, but that's how we learn.
Also, When I was finishing my first kit, a SMR, with Lye I didn't neutralize with vinegar and it continued to darken over the last year to a rich red color. .
This one I did use vinegar to stop the reaction and the color seems to be staying a little lighter, as showing. But, Only time will tell.

Back