• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rookie Woodsrunner build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How did you finish the stock? it is a beautiful rifle, great job...
I just followed Jim Kibler's instructions in his videos. Except for the last sanding was done with 400 grit.

1) Sanded from 150 to 220 to 320 to 400 grit
2) Wet the stock three times to raise the fibers (lightly sanded with fresh 400 grit paper after each time) (I had never heard of doing this before, but it made the stock exceptionally smooth)
3) Three applications of Iron Nitrate with the application/heating/light sanding cycle each time (I did this to get a richer color)
4) First coat of Permalyn Sealer was applied heavily and left on longer than subsequent coats giving the wood a good soaking
5) Burnished with a sanded wood dowel after wiped but while still wet
6) Four more coats of sealer were applied and wiped off (dried 24 hours after each coat) with a light buffing after each application with a white pad picked up at Woodcraft (probably a little finer than 0000 steel wool)
7) Renaissance wax was applied and buffed with a soft cloth

I had read through the forums and also on the internet about many different final finishes, with all having some advantages and disadvantages. Even Jim in his video uses Tru-Oil rather than Permalyn. But in the end, I went with Permalyn sealer since it seemed to have many advantages and seemed to be pretty foolproof. I did not use the Permalyn Finish since from what I read it seemed harder to control the final luster.

I hope this helps.

Nice "snap-together". 😆 I really like the color and how the brass turned out.

Point of note: If you're thinking of the same video as I am, Jim actually uses Tried & True Varnish Oil, not Tru-Oil. Two very different products.
You are right! It was Tried and True varnish.

I've gotta try some of that Jax Brown stuff.
It’ll turn brass really brown in a hurry! Tread lightly at first or you’ll use a whole bag of 0000 scrubbin’ it back! I think I’m gonna water it down a little the next time I put it on something…

@Mark DeNicola Did you use it full strength or didja water it down a little?

It’ll turn brass really brown in a hurry! Tread lightly at first or you’ll use a whole bag of 0000 scrubbin’ it back! I think I’m gonna water it down a little the next time I put it on something…

@Mark DeNicola Did you use it full strength or didja water it down a little?
I used it full strength.

Never having handled a flintlock, nor even knowing what a “lock” was, I decided to try a kit, rather than buy one retail. After much research and lacking confidence in building one from parts, I purchased a Woodsrunner in the white from Jim Kibler. It was meant to be a fall project, but I could not wait.

Having watched the Kibler videos, taken this one apart and reassembled it, and now knowing what tools would be required, I believe my next one will not be bought in the white.

The members of the Muzzleloading Forum have been a tremendous help. I do not think that a day goes by that I do not read your posts that ooze so much intelligence and help. Thanks!

I finished the Woodsrunner today, and these are some pictures.
Great looking rifle !

I've gotta try some of that Jax Brown stuff.
I as well , I was thinking of trying the Jax Brown but bought the Black instead, Think I will get a bottle to keep on hand in the arsenal of finishing supplies. LOL… And by the way you did a nice finishing job on that Rifle.

Great job on your build, it looks fantastic. Just another word about Jim Kibler's kits, I saw a Youtube video from The Woodland Escape a couple days ago. He seemed very impressed with the fit of the Jim's kits. Him being impressed, impressed me, and that's saying a lot.

Latest posts

Back