• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler Fowler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All those threats of blocking you…they might mot see your posts.

I have been told that English Walnut is far easier to work than our black Walnut by an Englishman.

All those threats of blocking you…they might mot see your posts.

I have been told that English Walnut is far easier to work than our black Walnut by an Englishman.
Well I'm not an Englishman, but that is generally true. I have used quite a bit of English walnut and find it excellent for gunstocks. But, I have stocked a lot of guns from black walnut and if it's dense enough it can equal English. When I buy black walnut stocks the first thing I do is lift them to see how heavy they are. If they are light I pass them by. Most walnut grown in the south is too soft.

Good golly. A bunch of attention deficit folks here. He stated right on this forum next up was an English fowling gun of export quality in 20 and 16 bore. Everybody write that down so you don't forget.
You mean these posts? I really hope it's the one he featured in a video some time ago. Either way I'm interested as the fowling piece made by him and pictured on his website is nice too.

1. Best value smoothbore

We'll have a very authentic trade fowling piece kit out, likely before the end of this year. It will probably go for around $1200 and I'd consider it to be the best value by far.

1. Kibler's next gun?

We'll be offering this in 16 and 20 bore. The 16 bore will be nicer in that the barrel wall thickness will be a minimum (probably around 1/16" at the thinnest point). The 20 bore will be thicker since the O.D. will remain the same.

Last edited:
I'm getting in line for a 16 bore and will be sending a English walnut stock to use.
Ditto for me except I have a 3" th. piece of northern Black Walnut from a 125 yr old massive tree with a spectacular crotch that runs half way up the blank. What I can't seem to re-find is the dimensions JK wanted when sending him your own blank. This slab is most likely going to make two as I planned on skipping the apex of the crotch and catching the pretty wood to either side. 'Wrong walnut for an export gun I know, but it's so darn nice.., and free.

Hi,
Listen to Mike. Generally English walnut is superior but not always and dense black walnut can work very well. Plus you can make it look like English walnut if you want with the right staining.

dave
Hi Dave, thanks. I assume you're referencing my post. The slab I have is 3x12x5'6" and weighs 55.6#. A min. of 125 yrs. old (we stopped counting rings) and I've known this tree for over 40 yrs. 'Front yard of a Victorian built in 1887. They killed it putting in a leach field. 'About 40" at the base. I've worked with a piece of softish walnut and yes it's miserable punky feeling useless stuff. This is NY tree and it's dense. What's mostly sticking in my craw is using figured American walnut in what should be a British import, but then, I would guess JK is not going to be using E. Walnut for his kits either (?). What to do...what to do....? Thanks for the response. Further viewpoints are welcome !

I will be purchasing a Kibler Fowler as soon as they are available. What would be the pros and cons to a 16 gauge over a 20 gauge? i know the 16 will be lighter but what about projectile availability?

I upland hunt with an over-under 20 Beretta but don’t think it’s a similar comparison. Thoughts on what gauge to go for?

SR1

Last edited:
I will be purchasing a Kibler Fowler as soon as they are available. What would be the pros and cons to a 16 gauge over a 20 gauge? i know the 16 will be lighter but what about projectile availability?

I upland hunt with an over-under 20 Beretta but don’t think it’s a s8milar comparison. Thoughts on what gauge to go for?

SR1
Yeah the 20 is more standard but a 16ga would be very sweet. Cast your own then just pick the caliber you want. Or just buy both.

I upland hunt with an over-under 20 Beretta but don’t think it’s a s8milar comparison. Thoughts on what gauge to go for?

SR1
Go with the largest bore size of the O/D if you are planning to shoot flying. 16
You can get a mold made for ball if you must.

I am thinking a 20 gauge from Jim since I just bought a used 16 while waiting. I can always buy a second barrel if I like the Kibler style better.

Back