• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler Fowler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those weren't his words, but they are still working on programming between other pressing matters. He's getting close so maybe pre orders soon ish. Here is the quote from the post. @Zutt-man
I’ve been working on it. Have the barrel turning pretty much squared away and am just about ready to setup the toolpaths on the stock. We had our biggest month ever I n January so production has taken a priority. This is a good thing I guess😀. Katherine and I are going on a little trip for a few days next week an I’m looking forward to getting some programming done. So, long story short, it’s coming along. Maybe not as fast as we would like, but it’s getting there. Thanks for the excitement and interest. I can say that it’s going to be a really great kit.

The neat thing about the huge success of Kibler long rifles is the marketing for his kits is all by word of mouth, I have never seen a published ad for his kits, there may be one out there that I haven't seen.

I noticed long ago that a company that had a good product and treated their customers fairly didn't have to advertise, word would spread and people would seek them out.

Back in the 70s a guy who lived as far of the main road as one could live started a gun shop in his garage, he sold guns and did gunsmith work, he was an honest man and treated his customers like they were kings. Soon he had to build a 3000 sq ft building next to his house to expand his business as well as hire salesman to help. He did a lot of gun trading; he didn't tell you what your trade-in was worth, he asked you what you thought it was worth and used that as the basis for the trade.

I heard about him about the time I wanted to buy my first TC black powder rifle. I lived in Alabama, he was across the state line near Winchester TN, everyone said it was worth the trip. On the way I ran out of paved roads and started negotiating the dirt roads, I forded two or three creeks on the way. All of the sudden there were cars and trucks parked off the road on both sides for as far as I could see, this must be the place.

I walked down the road and there was Judge's Gun Shop packed with customers. I was greeted at the door by a salesman with a big smile and a handshake who said " let me show you around the store and help you with anything you need". He knew every inch of the store, soon I had my new TC as well as a fresh stock of shotgun shell reloading supplies, the prices were far below the cost of the same stuff elsewhere, this dealer worked on a volume basis, not individual sales.

As long as I lived in Stevenson Alabama, I always went to Judge's for my shooting needs. Mr. Judge got mega bucks rich and finally had to build a gun shop super store out on the paved highway. I just checked and found that the store is no longer in business.

Yep, if you build it right, they will come.

Ok Jim, I think it’s time to let the Cat out of the Bag!!! If not a picture maybe a Barrel length, trigger pull, something 🙏
I know you’re busy doing our Muzzleloading fraternity a justice, but please give us some thing. Lol

Ok Jim, I think it’s time to let the Cat out of the Bag!!! If not a picture maybe a Barrel length, trigger pull, something 🙏
I know you’re busy doing our Muzzleloading fraternity a justice, but please give us some thing. Lol
Deserve Paramount Network GIF by Yellowstone

There is a link to a video earlier in this thread where he showed the piece he intended to recreate for the project. It's a historical one well documented in a book that he also names in the vid. While there may be some differences, I would imagine he made a fairly faithful rendition of that fowler.

We used to have a gun shop here in Logan Ohio like Judges. That was Jerry's gun store. you could get ANYTHING there and he had an affinity for old muzzleloaders. All the nice relics and antiques that lined his walls would make you drool. His prices were below everyone elses.
Ohio Rusty ><>

I fired off an email about Jim's future smoothbore offerings and if I could get that smoothbore gun with a percussion lock. I'm leaning toward the 16 gauge as it is a bit lighter and would make a great hunting gun. I can get a 17mm punch off Amazon for $9.99 so I can make all my wads and cards myself. I have bunches of thick and thin cards for my SxS 12 gauge, and I could punch the cards from those. I already have a 28 gauge flint smoothbore. The percussion 16 gauge would be really interesting to carry in the woods and harvest game with. Looking for something different I don't have. Narragansett Arms Co. used to offer a percussion smoothbore in the early 80's. I wanted one back then but didn't bite as I was in college then and I was poor ..... Most smoothbore muskets that are available now are a mass produced military type gun and they still cost $1200.00. I'd rather support Jim Kibler with a smoothbore that isn't a military styled smoothbore.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Last edited:
Can someone please post a link to the video of Jim showing the fowler he is going to pattern his off of.

I have looked through this thread and cannot find it.

Thanks.

410 grain patched round ball, or 440 to 490 (or more) grains of shot plus cards, wads, buffer, etc. .......and we make barrels unnecessarily thick for possible round ball use WHY?

I asked this very question recently and got four pages of replies, none of which could come up with a single safety-related reason why a barrel that's strong enough for a full load of shot isn't strong enough for shooting round balls. The point about RB accuracy potentially being poor with a lightweight fowling piece barrel due to relative lack of tube rigidity along the front part of its length was brought up, and that makes sense to me, but even if so it doesn't pose a safety issue. Fusil de Trait (spelling?) guns are reported to have extremely thin barrels out past the "chamber" area and were probably loaded with more round balls in more configurations than are imaginable and the 18th century barrel metal wasn't reputed to fail often. I just don't get it.
Fusil de chasse
This!!!!!
I dont blame any manufacturer for covering their a** and saying No don't do this!. That is exactly what I would do. Maybe there is truth and credibility behind this warning. But would a prb really produce more pressure than an equal load of shot? Or is the only real concern what jim said, people being inclined to up the charge for a prb? If it will produce more pressure are we talking enough of a difference to damage/bulge a barrel, cause a Catastrophic failure??? Lets say If a 410 grain prb with 100grains of 2f behind it is not advisable than how or why would an individual feel comfortable putting more projectile weight in shot and more powder down the barrel or would you limit your 16 bore turkey loads to 7/8 Oz and 75 grains of 2f only???🤔 I understand that a prb and a load of shot can seal differently within the bore but wouldn't that be dictated by how you load it? I own unmentionable 16 bores that i have put hundreds of 12,000+ psi foster slug loads(1600+fps) through. My old stevens single 16's barrel wall thickness at the muzzle is right around 70-75 thou can it handle this due to how the barrels are manufactured or the steel that is used? Does this differ significantly feom black powder barrels? I'm not at all trying to be sarcastic as IanH said "I just don't get it" I'm legitimately curious of the facts behind this? Someone educate me!

Last edited:
What would be the recommended max weight of shot and powder charge for the kibler fowler in either Guage? How bout max charge for a ball? jim has said his concern is the inclination users will have to put a stout charge behind a ball but obviously a prb with a 40grain charge is perfectly safe in a "thin walled"16 bore so what's the max? Not asking what the max the barrel can handle is (that's gonna be much more than anyone would feel comfortable loading) but what's the max you would feel comfortable with?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back