• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler Fowler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everybody. Yes, we're making good progress on the kit. We had several original export grade fowlers in hand to base this off of, so it's extremely authentic and close to the real deal. I like this aspect. Although there are a number of English fowling piece kits on the market, all of them miss the mark in this regard. At least in my opinion. Often you have to deal with thick, and heavy barrels, bulky forestocks etc. A well shaped English fowling piece is a thing of beauty and a joy to hold and shoot. The aesthetics and refinement in these guns is pretty fantastic.

Attachments

• A82B4081-FCD3-43FE-8AFA-B09FA021BDAE_4_5005_c.jpeg
    A82B4081-FCD3-43FE-8AFA-B09FA021BDAE_4_5005_c.jpeg
    12.6 KB · Views: 0
Thanks everybody. Yes, we're making good progress on the kit. We had several original export grade fowlers in hand to base this off of, so it's extremely authentic and close to the real deal. I like this aspect. Although there are a number of English fowling piece kits on the market, all of them miss the mark in this regard. At least in my opinion. Often you have to deal with thick, and heavy barrels, bulky forestocks etc. A well shaped English fowling piece is a thing of beauty and a joy to hold and shoot. The aesthetics and refinement in these guns is pretty fantastic.

Some of us will want to know cast, toe angle, drop at heel, and LOP when it come pre-order time.

How much extra to put the lock on the other side? 😜

I don't intend to shoot a round ball out of the 16 guage.
I'd feel better if everyone had this approach. These aren't made for shooting a ball, but I have to conceed that some are likely to do it. This realization is what adversely affects barrel wall thickness.

410 grain patched round ball, or 440 to 490 (or more) grains of shot plus cards, wads, buffer, etc. .......and we make barrels unnecessarily thick for possible round ball use WHY?

I asked this very question recently and got four pages of replies, none of which could come up with a single safety-related reason why a barrel that's strong enough for a full load of shot isn't strong enough for shooting round balls. The point about RB accuracy potentially being poor with a lightweight fowling piece barrel due to relative lack of tube rigidity along the front part of its length was brought up, and that makes sense to me, but even if so it doesn't pose a safety issue. Fusil de Trait (spelling?) guns are reported to have extremely thin barrels out past the "chamber" area and were probably loaded with more round balls in more configurations than are imaginable and the 18th century barrel metal wasn't reputed to fail often. I just don't get it.

Thin at the muzzle is fine, there is no pressure out there, it's all at the breech. If you look st antique fowling guns they were often quite big at the breech. 1 1/4" wasn't unusual. They tapered rapidly in the fist 9 or 9 inches and were much lighter for the rest of the length.
Today's barrel makers make heavy walled barrels out of ignorance more than worry about liability. When I have requested fowling barrels made to antique specs they were made for me without hesitation.

Rice made the Dolep barrel that was so light it needed an anchor to keep it from floating.
seriously though if the forward section out past the wedding band was any thinner you would cut your self on the muzzle. used it on a fowler and though i haven't weighed it i would guess 5.5 to 6 lbs total weight. and i left way too much thickness in the wrist.

I don't think there is any question that thin walled original barrels were more prone to failure than thicker full octagon counterparts. I recall seeing one in the Gusler collection that had a replacement forward barrel section forge welded on! I'd also wager there was a much greater tolerance for barrels failing. Especially in cheaper trade guns.

As far as ball vs shot, it's hard to know what customers may do, but I'd guess that there might be a tendency to put a heavier powder charge when shooting a ball in order to get somewhat decent ballistics with such a heavy ball.

As far as modern production goes, I don't think the hesitation for thin barrels is just out of ignorance. The difficulty of making a barrel increases as the barrels become thinner. Also, variations in bore relative to the O.D. (run-out) becomes much more significant as wall thickness decreases.

Jim

What wood options will there be? His usual? Is walnut the traditional wood of choice ? Will it be available pre carved??
I just wanna know!

Back