• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler 58 Colonial or (future) Fowler?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m looking for some feedback on a decision. In the near future I’m going to buy a Kibler smoothbore flintlock kit for use as turkey gun (with perhaps the occasional squirrel or rabbit hunt thrown in). After seeing the results some folks are getting with the smoothbore 58 Colonial, I had pretty well decided to order one earlier this year. Then the rumors about Jim’s upcoming fowler model started to be confirmed, and I decided to wait for one of the new models.

Now I’m having second and third thoughts. Kibler’s current 10% off special has me thinking of putting an order in for a 58 Colonial In order to be able to have it in the field next spring instead of waiting another year or two (I’m 65).

What do you guys think? Would you choose a 58 (perhaps with a jug choke installed) as a turkey gun over a 16 or 20 gauge fowler?

The .58 will be around a .24 gauge.
From my readings, the Fowler he plans to bring out will be lighter than the Colonial(just a guess).
Turkey hunters like heavy loads. A 16 ga will deliver more shot than a 24 ga.
‘However if you plan to use a round ball load also?
I have no experience jugging a choke and don’t know how thick the barrel needs to be? I would assume about .020 would need to be removed?

If you’re not “shooting flying” then weight won’t matter much, so no penalty for choosing the Colonial kit gun. If you don’t get a choked barrel then turkeys beyond 25 yards are fairly safe from you. Regardless of gauge. I’ve gotten 3 so far in the past 2 years with a .69 flintlock, all 3 at 20 yards or so. One jake at about 30 yards laughed it off.

I’ve got a Woodsrunner and several percussion rifles for round balls; this will be a dedicated turkey gun.

Limiting the range to 25-30 yards is what I expected, and most of my turkeys in the last 50 years have been taken at this distance. I’m doing this because in recent years turkey hunting with modern arms has lost its challenge for me. My current turkey rig is a cylinder bore T/C New Englander, and it’s great, but I have the itch for a smoothbore flintlock.

Your question shows competition between 2 factors: caliber and time. .58 will kill turkey, though 20yds is possibly your max range. Jug choking could extend that out a bit.
Waiting for the fowler means not hunting with the flintlock this coming Spring but being able to shoot larger loads (possible longer range) in future seasons.
Decide which matters more to you and you'll have your purchase figured out.

I'd get the .58 so you can get to using it. By the time the new Kibler kit comes out and you receive and build it you'll probably have two seasons in with the .58 and can save for the new gun. Also, once you get the hang of the flintlock you'll want more. Good luck and don't wait until your too old. You never know.

If you are pot shooting sitting rabbits you are ok with the. 58 smooth rifle. If you are hunting with dogs then wait on the shotgun.

I’m looking for some feedback on a decision. In the near future I’m going to buy a Kibler smoothbore flintlock kit for use as turkey gun (with perhaps the occasional squirrel or rabbit hunt thrown in). After seeing the results some folks are getting with the smoothbore 58 Colonial, I had pretty well decided to order one earlier this year. Then the rumors about Jim’s upcoming fowler model started to be confirmed, and I decided to wait for one of the new models.

Now I’m having second and third thoughts. Kibler’s current 10% off special has me thinking of putting an order in for a 58 Colonial In order to be able to have it in the field next spring instead of waiting another year or two (I’m 65).

What do you guys think? Would you choose a 58 (perhaps with a jug choke installed) as a turkey gun over a 16 or 20 gauge fowler?
First, what are the loading requirements for where you hunt? Some states have a minimum requirement for a 20 gauge fowling gun for turkey hunting. While I think the 24 gauge (58 Smooth) is adequate, the state may have a different opinion. Turkey, rabbit and squirrel hunting don't require as lively a gun as a fowling gun for shooting flying. The jug choke will extend the range a few yards and if most hunting ranges are at about 25 yards, the 24 gauge will do just fine.

For me it's the fowler, not even a question. I really like the colonial but the 58 is too small for a dedicated turkey gun. I wish they offered a big bore colonial. I want something 68+ cal up to about 75 cal for a dedicated turkey gun and it HAS to have some choke in the barrel. I am guessing that Kibler will offer some choke in the barrel of the fowler, nothing but a guess but when doing it from scratch it's not much more expensive or harder to do it right and Kibler tends to do things very right.

.58 Colonial jug choked gun holder here 🙋🏻‍♂️

I went through this debate earlier this year. I wanted strictly a flintlock as a turkey gun. I decided to bite the bullet and purchased Kibler’s Colonial in .58 with the possibility of coming back and getting a Fowler. I sent the barrel off to a family friend and gun builder to be jug choked.

I spent an afternoon developing several loads and came down to a few that worked well (one was excellent). Here is the thread I created for that. Hopefully it helps
Shot patterns

I tried it out on a gobbler this last spring and proved to be more than effective. I’d feel comfortable getting this old out to 30-35 yds. It also shoots round balls well (I tried cornmeal as a gas sealer)
Here is a link for that as well
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/one-i’ll-remember.162765/

IMG_5791.jpeg
IMG_5794.jpeg

IMG_5531.jpeg
IMG_5532.jpeg
IMG_5530.jpeg
IMG_5534.jpeg
IMG_5527.jpeg
IMG_5504.jpeg

Last edited:
.58 Colonial jug choked gun holder here 🙋🏻‍♂️

I went through this debate earlier this year. I wanted strictly a flintlock as a turkey gun. I decided to bite the bullet and purchased Kibler’s Colonial in .58 with the possibility of coming back and getting a Fowler. I sent the barrel off to a family friend and gun builder to be jug choked.

I spent an afternoon developing several loads and came down to a few that worked well (one was excellent). Here is the thread I created for that. Hopefully it helps
Shot patterns

I tried it out on a gobbler this last spring and proved to be more than effective. I’d feel comfortable getting this old out to 30-35 yds. It also shoots round balls well (I tried cornmeal as a gas sealer)
Here is a link for that as well
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/one-i’ll-remember.162765/

View attachment 238937View attachment 238938
View attachment 238939View attachment 238940View attachment 238941View attachment 238942View attachment 238943View attachment 238944View attachment 238945
Well documented!

58 smooth for me too. Would like a fowler but went with what was readily available, shipped in less than two weeks. Sadly a bitter cold snap ruined my turkey hunt this last spring so maybe next year as my states fall turkey is archery only. Love this thing btw, the swaged barrel negates the weight via a super nice balance.

Attachments

• IMG_20230212_165750411_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230212_165750411_HDR.jpg
    1,015.3 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back