• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ATTN NY Flintlock shooters!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADK Bigfoot

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Last year, for the first time in many years, we posted a team for the 2022 New England Traditional Flintlock Rifle Team Championship in Limington, Maine. We plan to post another team this year (see below).

Five or more shooters compromise a team, and last year we had five. This year, we would like to have more shooters for "bench strength." If you are a resident of New York, shoot a flintlock rifle (roundball only), and are interested in joining the New York Team, Please contact me as below.

ADK Bigfoot
aka Jonathan "Pete" Steffan
[email protected]
518-796-5226 cell or text

We hope to put together a meeting and practice shoot in the near future. I have the appropriate targets and a range available near the NY-VT border between Glens Falls and Rutland, Vt.

Please reach out to me soon if interested.

ADK Bigfoot

The 2023 New England Traditional Flintlock Rifle Team
Championship, July 29-30, 2023

Host club: York County Powder Burners, 679 Cape Rd.,
Limington, ME 04049

Traditional flintlock shooters in New England and New York are encouraged to recruit state team members. Everyone gets to shoot, and team totals are made up of the top 5 aggregate scores fired for each state.

Vermont won the last team championship shoot, but they don’t have a suitable range in the state for this match. Thanks to the York County Powder Burners and Mike and Martha Davis for agreeing to host this event again. Here is the course of fire (five record shots at each target, all offhand):

- six-bull target at 25 yards
- crow target at 25 yards
- single bull (8-ring black) at 50 yards
- 200-yard single bull at 100 yards

Saturday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM and Sunday morning (8:00 to 10:00 AM) are for re-entry matches and practice. Once practice/re-entry matches end on Sunday, team captains meet briefly and all shooters’ rifles are inspected for compliance with tradition (e.g., open, fixed sights, mechanical safety and reliability…). Then target bundles are distributed, and starting around 10:30 AM record targets are fired in the order above for team totals. Relays for record fire are not timed. Shooters rough score their own targets before turning them in.

Awards:
- for re-entry matches: merchandise (powder, flints, and patch material for first, second, and third, respectively)
- for the team championship: engraved walnut plaques for the winning team, a plaque for the top individual shooter, a plaque for the top new shooter, and a plaque for the top lady; also blanket prizes for the team shoot (see below).

Fees:

-
Registration fee: $15 per person for the whole weekend
- for re-entry matches: $2 for first entry, $1 per target thereafter
- a blanket prize related to muzzleloading that is worth $20 or more, and which everyone would be proud to win

Miscellanea:
Free camping is available at the range (no hookups). Bring your own drinking water from home. Gate to range opens at noon on Friday. Generous shooters are invited to sponsor a match for $10; thank you!

Questions?

Contact Rick Reed, Range Officer (1-802-355-6558; [email protected]); Mike Davis (1-207-229-2692); or Eric Bye (802-886-1777; [email protected])

Boy, this sounds like fun. I just got into league shooting a couple years ago up in Fulton, and have been to the state shoot last fall (and hope to next week end), but my work week ends have gotten messed up due to staff shortages, so I likely would have a tough time getting out there. ( I am just north of Syracuse).

Thanks for helping to put the word out, Bigfoot. One of the fascinating parts of this event is that any state can put together a team that is capable of coming out on top. I think it's fair to say that everyone who has shot as part of a state team has had some serious fun and learned a lot.
Keep your powder dry,
Eric Bye

Last call for volunteer NY flintlock shooters wishing to defend and uphold the honor of the Great State of New York against the rapscallions of the New England States. Contact me to join our Militia to engage those rascals in July!!!

ADK Bigfoot

Back