• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jaeger Shooters

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe posney

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am currently shooting a Jaeger .58 cal with a 31' Getz barrel with good accuracy. I was wondering if anyone out there can attest to the great feel of this rifle, and as I am working on some loads for target shooting, what you are using. I currently use a 45 gr FFF load, with .015 to .020 patches (depending on what I can scrounge up)at 25 and 50 yds. Still working on a 100yd load. After shooting a 42" /.45 cal Pecatgonica Southern Mtn. rifle for many moons, the feel of the Jaeger is just terrific! Any and all Jaeger Meisters...some feedback would be great!

I'm just a "wannabe" Jaegermeister at this point :grin: Roger Sells is building me a .58 Jaeger with Colerain barrel and Jim Chambers lock. I'm guessing (others will better be able to tell) an offhand practice load of 60 grains or so and a hunting load of 90 to 110 grains.

Can you post pics of your jaeger?

I once owned a .65cal jeager and was shocked at how light and nimble it was, it was built in 1747 and had better handling characteristics, than my colt m-4 I use at work.

I have a Jaeger in .54cal, it has a 30" green mountain barrel and a Twigg lock. I use a load of 80Gr 3F with PRB. From the bench it shoots a 4" group at 100 yards. I am still working on loads for it and plan to hunt moose this fall. At 50 yards offhand it will keep shots around the 2-3 inch mark if i do my part. I just love the weight and feel of this rifle. Getting the right size and angle of the flint took some work, it sparks good but tends to eat flints, I only get about 15-20 shots out of each flint.

.62 cal. Jaeger owner here. She likes 80 grns. of 3f .60 cal ball and a chunck of old tee shirt for a patch.

Shoulders and aims in wicked fast. Another plus about the "chunky" Jaegers: If my shot misses, I wouldn't be afraid to use the rifle as a club to try and fend off an angry boar. :thumbsup:

I made two. Both in 54 cal. One flint the other
a wheel lock[called 'scrap iron']. I use 55 gr of
ffg and print a clover leaf in the X at 25 yds.
I could use more fuel to go further distances but
in matches reaching 100yds it still does it's
share of hits. I have been shooting for many moon
and know my guns..

I have a .58 Cal. Swamped 31" Colerain barrel and the 1750 lock. I shoot an .18 pillow tick and the .570 ball. I have a new .562 mold I plan to use when the weather breaks in May.
It shoots 60 Grs. of 2F at 25 and 50 yds. It shoots the .570 very well at 100 yds. with a load of 95 Grs. of 2F. It has a flip-up sight and the tall leaf is on at 140 Yds. with 110 Grs. of 2F.
I like my long rifles but you have to wonder why did they give up the Yaegers? :confused:

In October I sold the yeager I had made in 1996. Before I built it I traveled to George Shumways place near York, PA and handled the four originals he had not yet sold from his collection. I can tell you that nothing handles more nimbly than a yeager. So I built mine around a .60 Getz swamped heavy yeager barrel. I used a full size drawing of Shumway's Fruwirth yeager, drawn by Houston Harrison, so I got the dimensions pretty much right. It has been my all time favorite gonne. It has worn three different Getz barrels, sometimes all in one day at a shoot. It now has only it's .62 smoothbore barrel and is owned by a good friend who coveted it for a long time. Other gonnes are great but the yeager is the best.
volatpluvia

Here are some photos of mine. Sorry, I'm not much of a photographer

DSC02548-1.jpg

DSC02547-1.jpg

DSC02540.jpg

texcl said:
I once owned a .65cal jeager and was shocked at how light and nimble it was, it was built in 1747 and had better handling characteristics, than my colt m-4 I use at work.

Did you ever shoot it (if so what load?).

My Jaeger is .62 that I built for a spring Griz hunt I had planned.

It seems to like 125gr FF and a tight denim patched ball

I haven't tried squib loads in it, my other .62s all like 57gr FFF, but for some reason I just never got around to trying it.

The Jaeger handles and shoots well but is not my cup of tea.

I probably should sell it to someone who NEEDS this much fire power.

I have decided to try my bow on the big bears - We will see what happens.

I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised to find out how well thought out the Jaeger design is.

nice lookin rifle Mr. Gray . :applause:

...anyone else care ot post a photo or two?

Mine doesn't really fit in since it's a swivel breech Jaeger. It has swamped 24" barrels in .62 caliber and weighs around 8 pounds or so. Still it is definitely a Jaeger. :thumbsup:

I have a Jeager built by Ron Scott with an Ed Rayl barrel. Very nimble rifle to shoot and carry.
Every firearm I own I could sell , except this one

BobsYeager19.jpg

BobsYeager5-1.jpg

I shot this target with it, the bottom 3 holes, grouped at 2 5/8", the top hole I pulled the shot :redface:
targets003.jpg

Thanks for your responses fellow forum members. I did take a few indoor photos of my Jaeger since it was raining here in coastal Carolina today. I hope they do the rifle justice!
IMGP0358.jpg

IMGP0357.jpg

Here is the yeager I described above.
IMG_0448.jpg

Here is my other yeager. Please pardon the fact that it is not a flinter.
grzrob014.jpg

volatpluvia

Volatpulvia,
It is a shame the only good picture you have of the Redhaired Gal also has me holding it! In August of last year the mainspring went out ( most
likely due to a brain fart on my part ) and I have been waiting for a new one from TRS since then! Ain't it fun to deal with them! She still looks good on the display rack but it is fun to shoot also!

I shoot a 62 cal twistlock Jäger
Charleston%20044.jpg

She likes 55gr 3f and .600 and a .022 cotton patch (basic cotton broad cloth) for most accurate. 65gr is my hunting load. For me anything over 85gr is tossing unburnt powder out of the barrel. Your Milage may vary.

Back