• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Double.45 questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mtbugle

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Hello all. I am wondering if someone here would have some insight on my double rifle. One barrel is marked Douglas and they appear matched. 45 cal with slow round ball twist. I wonder if the carving and shape follows any particular school or style. Any idea what wood this is? It is this chocolate brown color and not stained. Under barrel and patch box are same color, just not shiny. German silver furniture I believe. Shoots great with left barrel inch or 2 lower than right at 50 yds. Left barrel shoots left of center and right barrel shoots right of center inch or 2. Although when I was shooting it I was using heavy charge. I understand that shooting smaller charges may bring them closer to center??? No other markings anywhere. You also may notice the brass shim on lock spring to tighten it. I am not sure about trying to adjust the spring.
IMG_0330.jpeg
IMG_0333.jpeg
IMG_0329.jpeg
IMG_0332.jpeg

Id think your wood is walnut, and it was built in the later 1900’s. Other than that, all I can say is that it looks nicely done and should be fun to shoot. Hopefully your state allows a double for ml hunting season.

Id think your wood is walnut, and it was built in the later 1900’s. Other than that, all I can say is that it looks nicely done and should be fun to shoot. Hopefully your state allows a double for ml hunting season.
Thanks for your reply. We can hunt but with only one barrel loaded at a time. Would this be a different kind of walnut? My other guns with walnut seem to be black lines on more of tan colors. This is very brown to almost a reddish tinge.

Walnut can vary a lot in color and texture, depending on the region it came from, which side of a hill it grew on, if air dried or kilned, if logs were sawn fresh or sat a while, old or second growth, etc. etc.
European walnut is also different as is claro.

Walnut can vary a lot in color and texture, depending on the region it came from, which side of a hill it grew on, if air dried or kilned, if logs were sawn fresh or sat a while, old or second growth, etc. etc.
European walnut is also different as is claro.
Thanks again poker

Latest posts

Back