• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Low Charges

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nav

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I found that the ML contingent at my gun club uses very low charges in their rifles and muskets. The furthest target (a full-sized, rearing bear of mild steel) on the BP range is 50 yards (it's so huge I bet I can hit it with a flint pistol), and the other steel ranges and the walking course probably only only have targets out to 40 yards, and the vast majority of steel is @ 20 yds or less on the cowboy action courses (which we are allowed to shoot too).

Honestly, I was taken aback when I first saw them loading 20gr in a .50 cal., and 15gr in a .32 cal. I have to say that after trying it I am sold. Your hold overs are definitely taller at range, but for target shooting it's bomber. Hardly any recoil, saves a ton of powder, and if you're only looking for an impact and the ring of metal on metal it's fantastic. Not that my flintlocks have an uncomfortable report and recoil even with hunting loads, but it's really more pleasant to fire round after round when they're softer shooting and quieter. Not to mention that it will greatly increase the duration of my stockpiles of Swiss.

Not saying this is what's best for everyone, but I started this hobby primarily to shoot competitions and improve my fundamentals for center and rimfire competitions.

I prefer to shoot whatever my gun performs best with. It could be stout load or soft load depends on the gun. If I know the BP league, I am in is shooting 25 yard offhand paper shoot that week I will bring the 32 cal or 40 cal run light loads 20-35 grains the guns like and get better precision accuracy at that distance. 50 yard matches I use 40 or 45 cal depends how I'm feeling. If we shooting 100 yards I'll use the 45 and 60 grains 3f. If shooting silhouettes or something I can benefit from a bigger ball like splitting ball on axe blade, shooting feathers in half, splitting playing cards etc I'll switch to the 54 cal using 55 grains. But most paper matches where half the ball must break the line there's no benefits of a larger ball and stout load (unless you gun prefers one). But you slow a round ball down enough shooting at steel and it can bounce back at you - seen it happen luckily no one was hurt.

Since I don't hunt I also use a lot of soft loads for paper and anything else at the range. My small bores get used a bit more than the larger ones and even the larger ones seldom get "deer" level loads. Some targets do require a bit more powder but the heavy loads are now rarely fired. I'm on board with the low power loads.

I know most targets I shoot can be easily reached with less powder. However, I work up the most accurate load for my guns, and that is what I shoot. Those loads end up being less than many use.
I just ordered another case of powder this morning, gotta keep the companies in business!

Latest posts

Back