• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jaeger Shooters

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DTCoffin,
The yeager stock is well designed to handle recoil. Part of the reason some gonnes seem to kick so bad is the stock design. But a yeager stock will deliver the recoil in the least unpleasant way.
volatpluvia

Sweet, thank you, looks like that may be my next project after I the one I am ordering from Chambers today.The Jeager will need to be a scratch built though as I haven't seen anyone offer a LH stock,that will be a good winter project!Might as well start researching now, just don't tell my Mrs.

Wow after reading this thread, I have to have one of these guns. I have looked at some origionals and a lot of pics and I was suprised to find that all Jaegers do not have fancy carving and wire inlays.

That is very true. The standard line is that "only the wealthy/nobility could afford guns in Europe". Well, that ain't so. Not in the German states, anyway. Every little hamlet seems to have had at least one gunsmith. Target shooting was THE sport of the day, enjoyed by all classes. Hunting had restrictions, but every state was different, and I don't know exactly how things went. As I understand it, small game hunting was generally OK for ordinary folks, but large game might be restricted to nobility (I don't know about whether or not one could hunt large game on their own property...).

There are LOTS of "ordinary grade" German rifles and smoothbores. They just don't get "published". Also, you will find engraving more common on German guns, as opposed to American guns of the same "grade". This is because there was much more of a factory system involved, and there would be people who engraved gun hardware, all day, every day (and they got real good at it). This mass production made it cheaper to get engraved hardware.

I have gone through all my books and catalogs and counted German rifles and smoothbores, and got a ratio of about 60:40 rifles to smoothbores. In "real life" I see many more smoothbores than rifles.

Feel free to browse my photo album showing a limited number of German guns. www.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Fatdutchman/Original Flintlocks
www.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Fatdutchman/Original Flintlocks/GermanFowler
(this gun is in less than stellar condition...it's not my fault! Eventually, I'll get it into a more presentable state.) The engraving on this gun is absolutely flawless. The barrel was originally rather longer. When I got it, the barrel was cut down to 30 some odd inches, and an underrib was screwed to the bottom of the barrel. A bad reconversion with Siler parts. The buttplate has a trap for a bayonet, a minor fad at the time. Wish I had the bayonet! I have photos of a rifle that is obviously by the same maker (in much nicer condition). The lock on that one is from Liege, I'll assume a mass produced purchased lock.
www.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Fatdutchman/Original Flintlocks/GermanRifle
Tip Curtis had this very neat rifle a few years ago.
www.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Fatdutchman/Original Flintlocks/1830Stutzen
This little rifle uses a much older, bridle-less lock, but I believe the gun was always percussion. I need to make a new tumbler for this lock, the original one was ruined by some previous "gunsmith".
www.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Fatdutchman/Original Flintlocks/SpanishStyle
This one is my nicest, most original gun. 1720, or thereabouts. About .50, smooth, and weighs like six pounds, if that much.

There are NO marks on any of these guns (well, Tip's rifle might have a mark somewhere, I don't know), except for the SVLA mark inside the lockplate of the Spanish styled gun (the town mark for Suhl). It is very common to see an unmarked German gun.

Last edited by a moderator:
I may have said this before, but definitely go to www.hermann-historica.com (or www.hermann-historica.de ) and go to their auction catalogs for lots of good photos of tons of German guns (and some Spanish and Italian, and a few French), along with lots of other very interesting items.

Unfortunately, European books and auction catalogs rarely show cheekpieces. They seem to not be very interested in them..even though that's usually where the best carving is located...

Last edited by a moderator:
This has been a very interesting thread and one very close to my heart! I must admit that after shooting those 42 plus inch barreled Ky\Pa longrifles, it can be a breath of fresh air to shoot a German short rifle. My percussion rifle is only 40 inches long and is a hearty 54 caliber. I thank you all for your shared posts of pictures and experiences here!!
P1000245.jpg
[/img]
P1000240.jpg
[/img]

Back