• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

One more idea on bore cleaning (sorry).

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just thinking out loud here, and I'm not trying to start another water v. petroleum battle. On a few cleanup jobs I have had excellent results using one Finish brand automatic dishwasher detergent packet dissolved in water to make a concentrated cleaning solution. I wonder if it would work well to cleanup bp guns. I don't want to risk damaging my guns to find out, but if someone has a junker and feels like experimenting, that would be interesting. Anyone?

I would be leery of the automatic dishwasher tablets with respect to rifle finish. I have heard of folks that pull the wooden groups off their cap and ball revolvers to cycle them through the dishwasher, so the tablets will probably work. It's just as easy to use any grease cutting liquid dish soap. There's nothing to make after a quick squirt of the soap dispenser in water for some very good cleaning solution.

I posted this on another discussion, so I will copypasta it here.

Why do so many think its so hard and involved to clean any muzzleloader? Plug the vent hole with a toothpick or seal the nipple with a scrap of leather. Pour some plain tap water in the barrel to about half full then plug the muzzle with your finger and slosh away. Do this until the water comes out clean. Then run some patches down the bore and ignore the gray stuff, that’s graphite from the powder. Oil the barrel, Balistol works great for this as it emulsifies the water.

Real simple with a hooked barrel. Remove nipple and put breech end in a quart container with water and dawn. Run a patch up and down sucking up the water and soap. Then rinse doing the same thing with water and a dash of ballistol. Blow dry with the air compressor and put the barrel in the hot Florida sun. Done. Dawn and water is time proven method. No need to hunt around for something else. MPO.

I appreciate everyone who has taken the time to reply thus far, but I'm going to jump in here to get the train back on the tracks. My intent was not to start discussing how to clean a ml, or to ask for fav cleaning homebrew recipes. That has been done many times over. Plain and simple I asked if anyone who might have a barrel they don't mind experimenting with might try cleaning it with a solution made from an automatic dishwasher detergent packet dissolved in water. This could be helpful or a flop, but first someone has to try it and let us all know how it turned out.

Last edited:
Real simple with a hooked barrel. Remove nipple and put breech end in a quart container with water and dawn. Run a patch up and down sucking up the water and soap. Then rinse doing the same thing with water and a dash of ballistol. Blow dry with the air compressor and put the barrel in the hot Florida sun. Done. Dawn and water is time proven method. No need to hunt around for something else. MPO.
This works really well if you can easily remove the barrels.

I appreciate everyone who has taken the time to reply thus far, but I'm going to jump in here to get the train back on the tracks. My intent was not to start discussing how to clean a ml, or to ask for fav cleaning homebrew recipes. That has been done many times over. Plain and simple I asked if anyone who might have a barrel they don't mind experimenting with might try cleaning it with a solution made from an automatic dishwasher detergent packet dissolved in water. This could be helpful or a flop, but first someone has to try it and let us all know how it turned out.
I can understand the desire to experiment, but at the expense of a much simpler method? There is no logical reason to get all fancy when removing soot when water will get the job done. No need to heat it, or add soaps or this or that. Just simple water from the tap. And if you really want to be efficient, go order some tow to use instead of patches. It crazy how effective that stuff is, and it can be reused several times and then used for wadding in smoothbores repeatedly until its blown to dust.
The people 200-300 years ago knew how to take care of their stuff as their lives often depended on that stuff working.

Clark, I appreciate what you are saying but dropping a dishwasher packet in water isn't "getting all fancy." Since the dishwasher stuff is an aggressive cleaner, I think it might be worth a try, just for you know what and giggles. Samething with a concentrated Alka Seltzer solution which might really nullify the acidic bp residue. Hey, if no one ever experimented, right now we would be reading our tablets (slate ones) by candlelight. ;)

Clark, I appreciate what you are saying but dropping a dishwasher packet in water isn't "getting all fancy." Since the dishwasher stuff is an aggressive cleaner, I think it might be worth a try, just for you know what and giggles. Samething with a concentrated Alka Seltzer solution which might really nullify the acidic bp residue. Hey, if no one ever experimented, right now we would be reading our tablets (slate ones) by candlelight. ;)
BP residue isn’t acidic, it’s hygroscopic. There are no ‘salts’ as produced by early smokeless powders and mercuric primers. Just soot that attracts moisture, then dries and attracts moisture again and again and again.

Last edited:
Clark, you are correct in that bp residue isn't acidic. My error is based on what I have attached. You might want to know, however, that the residue isn't hydroscopic. Lots of room for error for both of us. You know what, I sure hope, no I'm begging, that some kind soul will do what I asked in my original post. Truce?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240524-131032.png
    Screenshot_20240524-131032.png
    150.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240524-131016.png
    Screenshot_20240524-131016.png
    41.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240524-130400.png
    Screenshot_20240524-130400.png
    281.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240524-130320.png
    Screenshot_20240524-130320.png
    134.7 KB · Views: 0
Truce? I didn’t realize we were in a conflict. Just a mere exchange of information. And yeah I spelt it wrong, mea culpa. (Corrected the spelling above)

Ballistol works good but it was developed for use in removing corrosive salts left by nitro based powders and mercury based primers in common use in 1905 by the Imperial German Army. It’s benefits in BP usage are that it will emulsify with water and leave oil behind when the water evaporates, which is why it makes a good patch lube when mixed with water.

Check the ingredients. ANYTHING with water will work cuz that's all ya need. Can't make easy easier when it's so easy. I do add dawn cuz that's what I learned when I was 10 and when I was ten I was purtty smart. Do be careful with the finish. Amazing what stuff will affect bluing and browning like molasses diluted 8 or 9-1 in water for rust removal which is a miracle potion but dulls bluing substantially.

Now go shoot one and clean it with a packet and report back.

Last edited:
Back