• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is this normal for #11 caps ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance, just started my venture into ML.

Went to the range for my first outing with my new build. Swabbed the barrel to make sure it was clean, then fired a cap before loading to make sure the flash channel was clear of any lube etc.

Using CCI #11 Magnum and hot shot nipple. The cap fired. But split on one side and peeled open.
20220119_163419.jpg
Is this normal ????

Didnt fire any rounds thru it, just in case there was an issue.
Looking forward to your replies

Thanks

CCI magnum caps are a little hotter than #11 caps. More flame to ignite bp substitute powder, which requires a higher ignition temperature. The hot shot nipple will vent some energy through the small holes in the side of the nipple. On another note, I have had spent #11 caps not split upon firing. I had to use a knife to remove the caps from the nipple.

CCI magnum caps are a little hotter than #11 caps. More flame to ignite bp substitute powder, which requires a higher ignition temperature. On another note, I have had spent #11 caps not split upon firing. I had to use a knife to remove the caps from the nipple.

Thanks ord sgt, I will be using pyrodex select ffg, only thing I could find local.

Using that Hot Shot nipple you can use regular regular #11 caps (Remington, regular CCI, RWS) shooting Pyrodex Select when you can find them, you don't "need" to use magnum caps using that nipple. I understand that was all you could find now. I shot regular #11 caps with Pyrodex RS (till I switched to straight Black Powder) and never had a problem target shooting using the Hot Shot and still shoot the Hot Shot. The only time I ever use magnum caps is when I am hunting, just gives me that piece of mind of when I pull the trigger, no matter the weather, the gun will go bang. You will also get fired caps stuck in the hammer cup also if you shoot enough. You don't need to worry about it while shooting but you should scrape them out when you clean you gun. It is also normal to get crud build up in the hammer cup while shooting, again you'll just need to clean it out when you are done shooting. I just use a very small screw driver covered with a piece of cleaning patch to scrape it out of the corner around the inside of the cup. Now go shoot something out of the barrel of that gun. DANNY

Excuse my ignorance, just started my venture into ML.

Went to the range for my first outing with my new build. Swabbed the barrel to make sure it was clean, then fired a cap before loading to make sure the flash channel was clear of any lube etc.

Using CCI #11 Magnum and hot shot nipple. The cap fired. But split on one side and peeled open.
View attachment 115963
Is this normal ????

Didnt fire any rounds thru it, just in case there was an issue.
Looking forward to your replies

Thanks

I wouldn't worry about it. You ought to see what happens to percussion caps in a revolver. Sometimes they are so small/mangled they can get in the hammer mechanism and really foul things up.

Isn't that what a hot shot nipple is supposed to do? I thought the holes in the side were supposed to split the cap the same as slixshots in a revolver.

The hot shot nipple is supposed to help stop hammer blow back and make muzzle velocities more consistent , not split the cap .
How it makes velocity more consistent I don't know . I suppose if the hammer was left down during loading it may relieve chamber pressure and allow the powder to pack down more evenly

Great big THANK YOU to everyone for the advice.

I'm headed back out to the range today, see what load and ball/patch combo this rifle likes.

I will definitely be using my safety glasses

Have a great day

Everyone that responded is correct in their observations but left out one thing. Glasses are a given with any weapon but to "help" direct cap fragments away from the face I open a "V" shaped cut in the front of the hammer cup. Helps direct gas from a blow back as well as fragments.

Just a illustration here. Current production CCI musket caps are garbage because a reenactor, who wasn't wearing glasses, got a piece of cap in his eye and he sued CCI. CCI responded by weakening the caps making them suitable only for blanks.

Everyone that responded is correct in their observations but left out one thing. Glasses are a given with any weapon but to "help" direct cap fragments away from the face I open a "V" shaped cut in the front of the hammer cup. Helps direct gas from a blow back as well as fragments.

Thanks Mark, I will get my files out and do that before I go to the range today.
I can see how that would help direct drags etc forward.

Just a illustration here. Current production CCI musket caps are garbage because a reenactor, who wasn't wearing glasses, got a piece of cap in his eye and he sued CCI. CCI responded by weakening the caps making them suitable only for blanks.

Is this just on the musket caps or all of the CCI Percussion caps ?

Back