• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

inletting problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

runningbadger

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I am attempting to help a friend with his build while in the proccess of doing another one for myself, but that isn't the problem. My friend bought a pre-carved stock and wanted me to assist in putting in a lock that wasn't cut for. All has gone well with the mortise, but here is the delema. When the lock is put in with pressure on the pan there is absolutly no space from the bolster to the barrel, but put just a touch of pressure on the lower half of the lock plate and I end up with .007" of gap. I used inletting black and there is nothing touching the plate except for the outside edge shelf. Any suggestions?

Do you have all the internals inletted? How does it look with the lock bolt(s) installed?

you seem to be in a position of having to build something up or take something down. i'd look at the possibility of silver- soldering a bit of brass shim to the low area. not too difficult to do, fairly easy to smooth out, and fills the gap well.

good luck with your project.

You took too much wood out on the bottom edge of the lock plate and it's rocking. Glue in some wood on the bottom edge.

Latest posts

Back