• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ramrod hole correction?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I clamped the stock to provide more surface for the router
IMG_1341.jpeg
IMG_1340.jpeg
IMG_1340.jpeg

I also got a second hand TOTW Isaac Haines pre-carve in my To Do pile…
I just haven’t felt like being a masochist yet
Lol get ready. You could be lucky though! The other two i have appear somewhat better. The stock I started with seems to me the forced the band saw cuts. Every spot there was a knot the band saw buldged out wards. That’s from forcing you have to go xtra slow in those areas to keep the blade on your line otherwise the blade deflects and you get humps like my stock exhibited until dressed. No big deal but we all like straight cuts; I think! Cheers!

That's great that it all worked out. Ramrod holes are not nearly as hard as everyone seems to think. I am surprised you had trouble with a Liogier rasp. I have a bunch of them and they have been amazing.

Joe, it appears you are doing outstanding repair work - exercising the old gray matter!
I'm with Bill on the Liogier rasps. Ii have 6 or 8 of them, various cut grades, and all do cut excellently. Pricey, yes. But I'm old, live alone (with my Service Dog and a few cats), and I'm kind of stuck in the house 90% of the time. So might as well have a few top-notch tools.
Bill, I am STILL trying to box up those two pieces, and hope UPS will take them.

Joe, it appears you are doing outstanding repair work - exercising the old gray matter!
I'm with Bill on the Liogier rasps. Ii have 6 or 8 of them, various cut grades, and all do cut excellently. Pricey, yes. But I'm old, live alone (with my Service Dog and a few cats), and I'm kind of stuck in the house 90% of the time. So might as well have a few top-notch tools.
Bill, I am STILL trying to box up those two pieces, and hope UPS will take them.
I’ve been watching Bill Raby’s video series repeatedly on Rumble the Lancaster series. Watching Bill take wood with his rasps was like a hot knife through butter. I purchased a 3 piece set which I won’t complain about because they are more for finishing cuts. The 12 inch I purchased a #6 courseness literally skated across the areas I was trying to address. Seams the teeth don’t have the right pitch. The nicholsons i found have a much more aggressive pattern and man do they work. So it really is only the 12 inch that didn’t. But I also purchased another French Manufactured same courseness it did work but not as well as I would have liked for what I was doing. I have to say that rasp has a much nicer handle and ferrl than the Lioger. It was also about 20 bucks cheaper. I was not looking to buy cheap tools i was looking for a rasp that removes wood efficiently. Believe it or not I found that with the nicholson rasps they are ballastic! I was a little nervous about ordering them because you know nothing is made in the states and some of the reviews I read were negative. They were recommended to me by Jack Brooks who did a rifle and repair for me a few years ago. I don’t know if they are what he used he pointed me to a supplier with a wide range of wood tools. Thanks for the nice comments! Unfortunately honey do’s this weekend I won’t be making any progress. I’m ready to inlet the ramrod tubes.

If you look closely you can see that there is no hook on the French made rasps i don’t know if that was on purpose but they do not grab the wood. The smaller Liogier are better than the two 12 inch as far as removing wood. The Liogier 12 just skates across though will probably work with soft wood. I’m thinking it’s either mismarked or defective it’s going back. Unfortunately I can’t get to this this weekend! Drat!
IMG_1371.jpeg
IMG_1370.jpeg
IMG_1369.jpeg
IMG_1370.jpeg
IMG_1369.jpeg
IMG_1369.jpeg
IMG_1370.jpeg
IMG_1366.jpeg
IMG_1367.jpeg
IMG_1368.jpeg
IMG_1365.jpeg
IMG_1363.jpeg
IMG_1362.jpeg

I thought I was on my way after patching and redrilling the ramrod hole! But After about 8 hours I am still trying to get the entry pipe inlet and think I botched it up. as right now it is almost down all the way down in the channel and the fore stock. I think the fore stock wood is still holding it up; I can’t get the ramrod into the stock. The inlet black is negligible but there. Good grief I’m taking a break. Problem is I go down the basement see it there waiting to be worked on! 😂 coming along and keeping fingers crossed i don’t go to wide. Very difficult for me to tell.

Put some inletting black on the ramrod and try putting it in. It will show where it is hitting and give you some idea how to proceed.

My first entry pipe took me at least 6 hours, they can be confusing if you don't know what you are doing and I didn't know at all what I was doing. I ended up putting masking tape around the end in a single layer, and rounding it over the end just a little, maybe 1/8". Then I put a mark on the tape to indicate that was the top as I was running the rod in and out of the entry pipe, the tape showed the tight direction (where it was hitting) and from there I was able to figure out what I needed to do. WAY WAY better way than inletting black, and thirteen times (scientifically proven) cleaner. Had I done this in the first hour I could have been done in 2 hours. It is a simple job, but one that can really stretch your patience, especially when making sure the inlet looks really nicely done. And remember, it's easy to keep sinking it into the stock, it's a lot harder to lift it up if you go too deep.

Back