• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I was a little suprised

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waarp8nt

Smidgin Injun
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
East of the Kaskaskia River in Illinois Country
This is not mine, it was on an auction service that I use from time to time. I have both bought and sold at this auction house, I believe they done the owner well. Keep in mind the buyer pays a 15% premium. Your thoughts on why it done so well? Tax return money or other?

Screenshot_20230305_223458_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230305_224119_Chrome.jpg

OMG! That might be fun if you found it in the creek!!

I good friend of mine William "Bill" Gentry owned and operated Neoga Bullet Company. He sold bullets he cast and reloading supplies. In his shop he had an old relic of a muzzleloading rifle, a buddy of his found on the banks of the Ambarras River. His buddy let Bill display the rifle so more folks could see it and ponder on its history.

Any history on the piece at the auction site? Unless it came form a known camp or battlefield with the loading lever catch missing and the mainspring appearing broken I'm guessing it was just tossed probably after the kids got done playing it. You might be surprised at the number of discarded post war pistols found around old houses by relic hunters. I've seen them dug.

Did someone say a "little" oil and elbow grease? How about a whole lot of both. Then you still got a maybe.

Any history on the piece at the auction site? Unless it came form a known camp or battlefield with the loading lever catch missing and the mainspring appearing broken I'm guessing it was just tossed probably after the kids got done playing it. You might be surprised at the number of discarded post war pistols found around old houses by relic hunters. I've seen them dug.

Some history, but nothing documented so take it for what it's worth.

Screenshot_20230306_112657_Chrome.jpg

Someone wants it to plant at a battle ground, to dig up later,in front of witnesses, to attach a larger price tag to it.

Auctions are funny. It only takes two people saying “I really want that.” and in the scheme of things $500 isn’t out of reach of many people. It would be an interesting conversation piece in an office or business.

Auctions are funny. It only takes two people saying “I really want that.” and in the scheme of things $500 isn’t out of reach of many people. It would be an interesting conversation piece in an office or business.
That's why I don't go to auctions. I don't trust myself.

If you can make out the serial number look it up here Colt's Manufacturing LLC
Best I can guess from the crappy picture is SN 203395, that # shows a Colt Navy made in 1867. At least you can find out if it's post war which the 2xxxxx serial number makes me think it is. Good luck if you bid.
Some history, but nothing documented so take it for what it's worth.

View attachment 203681

If you can make out the serial number look it up here Colt's Manufacturing LLC
Best I can guess from the crappy picture is SN 203395, that # shows a Colt Navy made in 1867. At least you can find out if it's post war which the 2xxxxx serial number makes me think it is. Good luck if you bid.

Thanks for the link đź‘Ť

To be honest I may have been a buyer in the $125 range, but not so much over $200.

These guns were seen as antiquated junk in the 1880s-1900s, the one post above is probably the most accurate. It was given to kids to run around with and when something broke it was just discarded. Especially if it's an 1867 production.

A while back I was talking to a coworker who said he'd buy used Italian brasser cap and ballers at gun shows for $20 , back in the 80s along with a can of Pyrodex or something. And they'd go in the woods and blast at trees or whatever else, and when the gun "stopped working" they'd toss it in the woods.

If anyone treasure hunts that area they'll probably find a dozen rusted up brassers that someone will pay $300 for

Back