• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New project, Elk Dreamers' Society Pipe Bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was searching the internet for a pictorial beaded pipe bag to replicate for my next beading project and came across this article.

CINCINNATI – Cowan’s set an auction record for any Native American tobacco bag when a beaded Sioux example sold for $131,250 in the firm’s September 18 American Indian Art auction. The bag was consigned by dealer Robert Jerich and contained imagery related to the Elk Dreamers’ Society.

In Visions of the People: A Pictorial History of Plains Indian Life by Evan Maurer (Minneapolis Institute of Arts, 1992), the author describes the society as follows: “Among the Lakota and other Plains peoples, to dream of a particular animal has great significance, for it is through dreams that one may receive the supernatural powers of that creature. The bull elk is believed to possess extraordinary seductive powers over the females of its kind. To dream of the bull elk is to acquire this special ability to captivate females.

“Men (and a few women) who dream of the elk joined the Elk Dreamers’ Society, often acting their dreams and ‘testing’ their powers in dance performances. At society feasts, Elk Dreamers sang songs and made medicine for attracting women.

“For elk ceremonies, dreamers donned triangular masks of rawhide adorned with small branches representing antlers. They painted their bodies yellow and often painted their arms black from the elbow down and their legs black from the knee down. Dreamers carried hoops and mirrors from which to ‘shoot’ their powers at rival dreamers and to bring their ‘victims’ (often women) under their influence.”

The auction house dated the 35½-inch-long example to the late Nineteenth Century. One side of the bag depicts a warrior dressed in a feathered bonnet with staff, a horse and rider, and two pipes; the opposite depicts two pipes, a brightly colored and spotted elk with “power lines,” and the Elk Dancer with hoop and staff.
E1.jpg

I thought that I would share my progress this far.

E2.jpg

E3.jpg

I have completed the bottom two panels and will be starting on the border rows above them today and then the side seam. Once those are complete, I will do the remaining pictorials.

I was wanting to do this on brain tanned but was unable to find a supplier with any in stock, so I decided to use Crazy Crows German Tanned Buckskin. This is the first time that I have used this and it does bead easier than any other commercial tanned product that I have used.

The beads are old Italian seed beads and the stitching is lazy stitch. I will post an update when I have it competed.

Ok, nice I guess
If your going for a duplicate representation, why did you add the extra rows of bead to the icons?
Are you enlarging?
3 bead lazy per, 5 or 8/9? I only ask because I understand the rotation,,(?)
I don't mean or intend to be rude,, just asking. Your representation is near,, but not a copy.
Critique? there is some crowding,, slow down.
(i live near mpls, i live near those people)

Last edited:
Necchi,
Thank you for your critique. My intent was not to make an exact copy. I have no idea as how to do that with my skills.

You are correct in that there is some crowding. I think that is because I did the figures first and then the background which means that sometimes I didn't have a full bead width when I approached the figure. I thought that it looked better crowded than with the large gap. Not trying to make excuses but as I was doing the figures as I hold the leather up the gap widens and I sometimes end up just getting the bead rows too close. Let's face it, the original people are definitely better at doing this than me.

As to the size I made a guess to the width based on the 35-1/2" length and then drew the figure and filled it in. I wasn't bead counting nor had any interest in doing that as again, I am not trying to make an exact copy.

Tha lazy stitch in the rows are 9 beads while in the figures it changes in accordance to the given space.

I appreciate your comment to slow down but I am afraid that if I get any slower it will never get done. 😁

The crowding effect does somewhat go away when the bag is open but I do know what you are saying and I appreciate your feedback. Thank you.

(Twenty-some years ago, I use to live in Shakopee, MN.)

Outstanding, Tom! Both the research and the craftsmanship.

I have done some simple beadwork and have an idea of what’s involved. However, I have never done anything even close to that, nor do I think I’m even capable of it.

An awesome project!

As a post script, I’ve been reading “These Were the Sioux,” by Mari Sandoz. She devoted a couple of pages to the Elk Cult, and its rise in importance during the reservation era.

Notchy Bob

I was searching the internet for a pictorial beaded pipe bag to replicate for my next beading project and came across this article.

CINCINNATI – Cowan’s set an auction record for any Native American tobacco bag when a beaded Sioux example sold for $131,250 in the firm’s September 18 American Indian Art auction. The bag was consigned by dealer Robert Jerich and contained imagery related to the Elk Dreamers’ Society.

In Visions of the People: A Pictorial History of Plains Indian Life by Evan Maurer (Minneapolis Institute of Arts, 1992), the author describes the society as follows: “Among the Lakota and other Plains peoples, to dream of a particular animal has great significance, for it is through dreams that one may receive the supernatural powers of that creature. The bull elk is believed to possess extraordinary seductive powers over the females of its kind. To dream of the bull elk is to acquire this special ability to captivate females.

“Men (and a few women) who dream of the elk joined the Elk Dreamers’ Society, often acting their dreams and ‘testing’ their powers in dance performances. At society feasts, Elk Dreamers sang songs and made medicine for attracting women.

“For elk ceremonies, dreamers donned triangular masks of rawhide adorned with small branches representing antlers. They painted their bodies yellow and often painted their arms black from the elbow down and their legs black from the knee down. Dreamers carried hoops and mirrors from which to ‘shoot’ their powers at rival dreamers and to bring their ‘victims’ (often women) under their influence.”

The auction house dated the 35½-inch-long example to the late Nineteenth Century. One side of the bag depicts a warrior dressed in a feathered bonnet with staff, a horse and rider, and two pipes; the opposite depicts two pipes, a brightly colored and spotted elk with “power lines,” and the Elk Dancer with hoop and staff.
View attachment 285323

I thought that I would share my progress this far.

View attachment 285324

View attachment 285325

I have completed the bottom two panels and will be starting on the border rows above them today and then the side seam. Once those are complete, I will do the remaining pictorials.

I was wanting to do this on brain tanned but was unable to find a supplier with any in stock, so I decided to use Crazy Crows German Tanned Buckskin. This is the first time that I have used this and it does bead easier than any other commercial tanned product that I have used.

The beads are old Italian seed beads and the stitching is lazy stitch. I will post an update when I have it competed.
Beautiful as always Tom ,man that’s a lot of very tiny beads .🙂

Latest posts

Back