I need a recommendation for professional grade gunsmith screwdrivers

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Flintlock Whiskey

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a cheap set of "Winchester" screwdrivers that are woefully lacking in quality. I usually adhere to the adage to "pay once and cry once", but not this time. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Artificer

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score

Artificer

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Correction to my above post. I think Chapman sells their bits individually as well, though they don't have the full range of sizes Brownells does.

Gus

flinter1977

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I second the wheeler set .Had them for years no complaints and happy screw heads.

Stumpkiller

That Other Moderator
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Yep. Magna-Tip and the Thin-Bit add on set. I have the Torx and Hex add ons as well. Or just dive right in for the Super Set Plus.

Use it all the time. I've even ground my own "special" bits for military-surplus sight adjustments

Flintlock Whiskey

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score

springfield art

54 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a cheap set of "Winchester" screwdrivers that are woefully lacking in quality. I usually adhere to the adage to "pay once and cry once", but not this time. Can someone point me in the right direction?
Brownell's, Brownell's, and Brownell's; all the pros use the company, can't go wrong.

springfield art

54 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Any young person getting into the "gun hobby" should have a high quality screwdriver set right off the bat....

Osseon

40 Cal
Reaction score
Personally I've lost a screwdrivers way before any quality issues come to light so I like to keep it on the cheap. Maybe one day I'll get a good work setup where I can keep my tools in one place.

hawkeye2

70 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Brownell's Magna-Tip and buy the big set right up front. You will need the thin tip set.

I also have a Chapman set and it's often my go to set because it fits in my pocket or shooting box and they are quality tools. In fact I have almost all the tips they offer. They aren't as versatile as the Brownell's though but the tips are cheap and you can grind them to fit.

MN284

32 Cal.
Reaction score
There is also the designated set for Browning shotguns and rifles. Thin bit, very high quality.

Sidney Smith

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I've got a set made by Grace I think it is. Wood handles. Plus I have another set , also made by Grace that is just one screwdriver, but comes with about a dozen interchangeable bits. They're made in USA iirc, and have not failed me yet.

Hatchet-Jack

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I use the Chapman set.

The Crisco Kid

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I bought the Lyman set. A disappointment. The bits are hollow ground but there is not a long enough parallel side area for the bits to reach the bottom of the screw slot. I have to regrind every bit. I've dealt with Brownells since the 70's and should have known enough to just go with them.