• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Slipping Set Trigger on Pedersoli Kentucky

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a newish Pedersoli Kentucky rifle. Recently, while shooting, the set trigger wouldn't set. I'd pull back on it until I heard the usual "click" and then it would "click" back out, not setting as it should. I didn't fuss with it at the time but just started using only the main trigger with its heavier pull. Then, I tried the set trigger one more time and "BOOM!" the set trigger somehow dropped the cock, discharging the gun. I'm glad that I had it pointed safely downrange & had the stock firmly in my shoulder.

Once I got home, I started the usual cleaning process and found these two notches scratched onto the sear.

For you gunsmiths out there, I can use some help. Do I need to replace the sear? Is there something about the set trigger assembly that is causing these marks to form on the sear? What should I do to resolve this issue?

Attachments

• Pedersoli Kentucky Lock 1.jpg
    Pedersoli Kentucky Lock 1.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Pedersoli Kentucky Lock 2.jpg
    Pedersoli Kentucky Lock 2.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 0
I wouldn’t be concerned about the marks on the sear, the issue is with the set triggers. The tip of the rear trigger where it engages the front trigger and perhaps the notch in the front trigger that the rear trigger fits into is the second place I’d look. Try turning the adjusting screw between the triggers out a turn and see if the triggers work safely then.

This is usually the result of folks "testing" the set trigger while the lock is in half-cock position.

If you turn the little screw between the triggers "out" (left) a half turn, you should re-acquire set trigger purchase.

Gentlemen
I purchased a .50 cal TC Hawken and the set trigger does not engage. I have pulled it and cleaned it but no luck so far.
I am new to this and any help would be great.

Back the adjustment screw out. Sometimes they will move and the trigger engagement will change.
Also see if the rear trigger bar is riding the sear bar. There might be too much pressure on the bar and the sear nose can't drop in the full cock notch fully. It is hard to say without more info.

before adjusting the triggers, check the sear and bridle screws for tightness, the lock on my pedersoli pennsylvania will shacke the screws loose and act exactly the same.

Chris

Thanks. I am still working on it. With your help I'm sure we can get it solved. Worse case I get a new lock and triggers however getting parts in Canada is almost impossible so any pointers in the right direction would be great. Funny , I haven't even shot the darn thing yet and I'm already lovin it.

Start by removing the trigger from the gun and testing it. You will get a better idea of how it works by seeing the mechanism in action. It sounds like you have it set too lightly and may need to back off the adjustment screw until you get the pull you desire. Take the advice of EC121 to ensure that the trigger bar is not pushing the sear at full cock. DON'T test the set trigger at half cock as that could break the sear (thanks to Zonie for that one). I think that you will probably find that the setting screw is your problem.

Also, I am with Necchi on this one. Did you buy this new with a set trigger? My Pedersoli Kentucky is a single trigger.

Gentlemen
I purchased a .50 cal TC Hawken and the set trigger does not engage. I have pulled it and cleaned it but no luck so far.
I am new to this and any help would be great.
FHR,

TC is an old rifle. How worn is the trigger mechanism? Follow the advice that you see on this post and other set trigger related posts. If is is worn out seek a replacement from RE Davis.

Back