• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I found this place......

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found a place behind my neighbor's house with a small beech sapling in it that the deer are drawn to, there is a small opening near the sapling that the deer come to from all directions to socialize in.

The does lick the leaves on the small beech.

magic tree doe.JPG

And the bucks sniff the leaves and the trunk of the same sapling.

magic tree spike.JPG

I have pictures of 20-30 different deer congregating in this small opening, usually in groups of 5 or 6, lots of bucks but mostly youngsters.

Snow deer.JPG

I needed just the right wind to hunt this spot, there are houses in the background so I have to hunt from a climber so I am shooting down at the ground.

The conditions were perfect a few days ago, the perfect wind and the moon phase was at its peak 1 hour before dark. I carried a climber in and sat over the opening, it was an absolutely dead evening, nothing moved, not a bird, squirrel or deer. I left my climber on the tree which was probably a mistake, deer notice such things and change their habits.

I went back a couple of days ago, to another perfect evening, nothing showed up but I did hear some kid on a 4-wheeler down in the hollow where the deer come from in the evening. I have never seen a deer on this land when the kids are racing up and down the hollow.

It was still a great hunt, we have 6 more days of the season, I pulled my climber and will sneak in and make a surprise attack once more before the season winds down.

The little opening.

100_7937.JPG

Old faithful, .54.

100_7939.JPG

Just happy to be in the woods, as I left to walk home, I thanked the man upstairs for allowing me this opportunity one more time.

100_7938.JPG

Just don't scream "Geronimo" until after you touch her off. 🤣 Seriously though, great looking spot, I'm sure you're going to make meat there. Places like that are scarce.

Good luck! Funny how we can find a place, get the setup correct, even mark some deer, but when it's hunting season, all bets are off. :-0)

Every few years we get a good snow in N/W Alabama. This time we got 7" of snow, the temp went down to "0", then it warmed up and rained all afternoon and the temp returned to -2. All the rain and slush turned into a 4" thick sheet of ice, everyone out where I live couldn't get out of our driveway for a week. Being a closet prepper, I had the bases covered and ate well while I waited on a thaw.

These guys came looking for some lunch at the deer gathering spot. They were together about a minute apart. There is 7" of snow and these guys can walk on the crust and not sink in.

yote 2.JPG

This rascal is huge!

yote.JPG

These are subdivision deer, as jumpy and any deer I have hunted, they don't miss a trick. Here is a young cutie checking out my trail camera, she knows it doesn't belong there.

magic tre cutie.JPG

Last edited:
Looks great! I planted some beech but failed to protect them. Bucks rubbed them dead. I hunted persimmon trees up the hill until the property sold and the jerk cut the trees down. He also cut out all the paw-paw trees.

The conditions haven't been right for the spot, today may be the last day. The season ends Saturday, heavy rain is predicted Friday and Saturday, being a fair-weather hunter, the rain is a deal breaker for me.

There is a guy who lives about 400 yards away who has a habit lately of stepping out on his porch and doing a couple of mag dumps with an AR in the direction of my magic spot. I am pretty sure he baits deer in his back yard and shoots them off the porch as well, he has shot his modern .270 or whatever twice this week, always in the evening when I was hunting another area of the property.

I hunted the last three days, mag dump and 4 wheelers in the hollow on Monday, 4 wheelers in the hollow on Tuesday. Yesterday I set up on the end of the property off a point overlooking the lake, my neighbor didn't know I was there and took his evening stroll off the point, down to the lake and out of sight up the ridge on the 4-wheeler trail. He walked by me but didn't see me. After he went by, I moved up the hollow and creek bottom but nothing moved.

The deer are mostly nocturnal now after a long season and lots of pressure, very little movement. Early on I was seeing deer every day, they were juvenile deer, does with small fawns or larger deer just not in flintlock range. I have seen 4 deer in the last month and a half.

Rain, rain, rain, I sat on my deck and watched my woods and plot yesterday evening. I had thrown a couple of 5 gal buckets of acorns I raked up in the fall out on the plot yesterday to try to draw a deer in, not something I would normally do but I am trying to get a deer for a guy I know who is really down on his luck. He has feet that get infected to the point of losing them a couple times a year, now he has fatty liver disease and can't work.

A deer would be a godsend to him and his family, I would take it to the processor and give it to him free of charge.

I have a friend who was helping me get the guy a deer, he and I both struck out yesterday. Today is the last day, torrential rain is in the forecast.

Here my "shooting house" for today, I put the chair up on blocks so I can see over the rail and use it for a solid rest for my rifle. I hunted with nothing but a traditional bow and my flintlock all season, for my last sprint to the finish line and a better chance to get a deer for my friend, I got out my unmentionable firepower. Those are 3D archery deer targets in the foreground, I need to put them up.

deck shooting house.JPG

You gave it a valiant effort, Eric. Kudos from my part of the States for trying. A not too battered roadkill, if nothing else, can help fill his freezer if necessary.

I never turn down a good road kill and have picked up 4 fresh ones over the years.

I have an F250 with a very high tailgate, I am too old to lift a deer into the bed so I keep a receiver mounted hitch deer hoist in my truck during the season just for road kills. Before I had a tractor with a loader it was my deer skinning rack, the best money I ever spent and a back saver.

hoist.JPG

Back when I was younger and was in hunting clubs my winch got a workout, this is a flintlock kill.

deer winch.JPG

Latest posts

Back