• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

I need a recommendation for professional grade gunsmith screwdrivers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used Chapman for over 40 years and don't see any reason to change at this point. I like that I can get more slotted sizes or replacement bits for $1.50 or so. Since replacement bits are cheap, it is not a big deal to modify one for a special application. The other thing I like about Chapman is that they are still a tiny Mom and Pop shop (~20 people) after 80+ years, and I like to support small US businesses.

https://chapmanmfg.com/

Ive had a Chapman set for 35 or so years. ive broken a few tips, mainly smaller ones, I just order new ones and a spare or two of that size and similar ones. The basic set has fit MOST of the guns Ive used them on. I inherited dads Brownells basic set, Im somewhat dismayed that theres VERY few tips that actually fit anything I have. It seems one needs to buy a lot of extra tips to get enough to work with. Ive mostly left the Brownells set unused and continue to use the Chapman set.

Another vote for Brownells, used Chapman prior until i lost a couple bits in move

Ive had a Chapman set for 35 or so years. ive broken a few tips, mainly smaller ones, I just order new ones and a spare or two of that size and similar ones. The basic set has fit MOST of the guns Ive used them on. I inherited dads Brownells basic set, Im somewhat dismayed that theres VERY few tips that actually fit anything I have. It seems one needs to buy a lot of extra tips to get enough to work with. Ive mostly left the Brownells set unused and continue to use the Chapman set.
I agree plus Chapmans is compact enough to go to the range with . Even the small 8900 set I have I doubt i used more then 1/2 of them. The Brownells is nice but it has bits for the bits. To me it’s like having a collection. But it is cool and you never know when you might need one. And honestly I have my Chapman kit for at least 25 years and today you can buy the seme set from Amazon for around $50

try a set of wheeler engineering drivers . I am a gunsmith with over 50 yrs experience I have used hardware store drivers grace drivers and several others I like the wheelers and the tips can be ground for different applications and readily replaced cheap
gundoc

I have used the interchangable bits from Brownellls for close to thirty years. Number one reason is this, they have a bit to fit almost every size screw slots on millions of firearms made world wide. Me? I hate to see a buggered screw slot on anything. It shows carelessness on the behalf of the person who removed and replaces screws.

Agreed! Anyone who owns a gun should own the correct screwdrivers - and since we are never sure of the size needed on our next gun, it only makes sense to go with the big set. Like many others, I have Brownells Magna-Tip in their "Super-Set".

I've had lots of repro muskets, and odd older guns, with the THIN screw slots!
wonder why they didn't make them more robust? No one thought of that back then, I guess!

I've had lots of repro muskets, and odd older guns, with the THIN screw slots!
wonder why they didn't make them more robust? No one thought of that back then, I guess!

Actually, they used THIN screw slots BECAUSE they didn't want most people disassembling and screwing up the locks or guns. They figured if you had the skill to make a thin turnscrew/screwdriver to fit the screw slot, chances were you wouldn't screw something up.

Gus

LOL!! Are you sure of this??? I hate the darn thing.... only place it belongs is on Lymans Lubri-Sizer!!!
The one I have is about 2 1/2 inches long, has a open star ratchet ring on one end and just flips over for tighten or loosen, has been very useful in tight spots. Standard screwdriver bits can also be used. I have had it fot 25 yrs or so.

I agree plus Chapmans is compact enough to go to the range with . Even the small 8900 set I have I doubt i used more then 1/2 of them. The Brownells is nice but it has bits for the bits. To me it’s like having a collection. But it is cool and you never know when you might need one. And honestly I have my Chapman kit for at least 25 years and today you can buy the seme set from Amazon for around $50

Ive talked to them several times to order spares when I mangle one or two tips. They are super nice people. I think its a small family run business.

They claim the tips are designed to crack at a certain point to reduce damage to the gun if you get past a certain torque point. I dont know. I do know the tips generally dont twist like soft metal, if they fail, they crack the edge off, and I havent damaged any guns using them.

Ive ground them to fit certain guns, just like you can any other tips (mainly the width of the tip so they dont mar the surrounding metal of the screw hole). My main like is they fit so many various gun screws without having to do much of anything. Almost the opposite of dads Brownells set. Im certain the Brownells set is quality, but I just havent found much they fit, and havent seen much point in spending money to get more tips when I already have most of my stuff covered well with the Chapman. I think if I spent the money that more tips would cost from Brownells I may as well buy another Chapman set.

I got grace from a gunsmith school and I also have wheeler and I have a couple older craftsman that I have redone the tips for what I need them for .

Back