• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I`m confused

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssbookyu

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am a normal guy who has little acess to tools infact the only powertool I have is a drill the rest are hand tools chissles, hacksaws yaes I have metal cutting ones plese lead me to a good disscusion, tutorial or books that tell me how to build a flintlock not prucussion. Please reply soon.
Builder

look at the top of this list. There is a pinned tutorial right there.

"Post: Gun Building Tutorial"

I would recommend the following books:

Art of Building the Pennsylvania Longrifle
Gunsmith of Grenville County

When I started building, I didn't have any more tools than you. I inletted 90% of the first rifle that I built with a chisel that I made from a screwdriver and I am still pleased with how it turned out.

Go for it! :thumbsup:

If at first you don't succeed Don't Give Up!! There is a lot of help to be had on these pages. Most of which is of great value gleaned from experience/trial and error from which we all learn. The best to you in your adventure.
Dusty
P.S. None of us are Normal don't you know.

Search the web, there are online tutorials too.

Its easy, and I used no power tools.

took 5 4 hours sessions and drying time

Gunmakers had factories made near rivers so they could have water powered wheels provide the drive energy for machines. Earlier, horse or donkey powered wheels provided the energy. Electric Motors came around in the 1870s and 1880s, to replace all this, of course. What could not be powered by water, or animal, before then, was done by hand tools.

I am using the armstrong method of machining. had tools, files, chisels. My arms get really strong. power tools = powerful mess. Hard to get the detail control needed to sneek up onto great fits with power tools.

Here is a sample of what can be done with only a file, hacksaw, and jewler's saw (confession, I did use a drill press for the holes)

73855d4a.jpg

aa8a45f4.jpg

triggers-1.jpg

Very nice example of what you can do with a piece of steel and a couple of files mixed with sweat. :hatsoff:

Flashpanner,

That's a beautiful piece of work. I'd love to see the finished rifle.

Dick

Back