• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Nifty shooting tool...at least I think so...;)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one now since last summer. I ordered it and received it in a timely manner. Also bought the extra rod and .54 cal. for my 1854 Aston Johnson pc muzzle loading handgun. I have used the multiple tool also with my all original 1864 Type 2 Springfield Rifle. It is very well crafted and well built and very useful not taking up much space at all. I have no skin in the game here other than saying I do own one and love it.

Well done and very innovative. However, I worry about the strength of all the joints.
Good question. I can tell ya having out in the field with my rifles and indoor range, I have found it to be as strong as needed. Anything worse of an issue I would call it a day and head for the work bench at home for some serious work. Yes it’s classy and craftsmanship is high end, but I used it and it worked for me. I find it compact and easy to carry along in a shooting bag with other supplies.

With every new ML catalog or magazine I have received over the years, I have anxiously looked for new products. But what I was looking for was very specific in that I wanted traditionally styled, well made parts, tools, and accouterments but also something new. I suppose that this was a bit unreasonable since we all enjoy a hobby centered around weapons and gear that was the cutting edge of technology 200 + years ago. Nonetheless, I never find as many new things as I would like. So, over the years, I have made many of the items I was looking for or that occurred to me along the way. Some of them were easy to devise and make, others took a fair amount of time and thought. This shooting tool was one of them.

I have received several e-mails about this thing over time recently and have been asked to show how some of the features of the tool are used. The first photo shows the whole tool disassembled. The second shows it assembled and the third shows the "T" handle installed on one end of a ram rod. This has been the best and most useful addition I made to the original versions I built. You can put it on the rod when you need it and put it back in your pocket when you don't. And I tried to design it to be in keeping with the rest of a nice rifle. With cold hands or a rod slippery with patch lube, it makes pulling and pushing the rod a lot easier - especially trying to pull a ball. The vent pick is inside one leg of the "T" and, when not installed on the ram rod, the entire tool can be used like a hammer (very lightly) to knapp the edge of a flint. The end of the vent pick handle forms the face of the knapping hammer. The screw driver blade is permanently attached to the end of the "T" handle and the jag is stored on the opposite leg.

View attachment 118210

On the other end of the rod, various pieces are assembled as follows: To pull a ball, I use a ball drill first. This may seem like an unnecessary step to some, but wooden ram rods are not very stout in torsion. I have broken three (one a 5/16" and two 3/8") trying to drive a ball puller screw directly into solid lead. So, I added a ball drill - it takes very little torque to drill the ball with a few twists of the rod and the "T" handle is a huge help. The bore adapter (the little rounded collar) keeps the drill centered in the bore.

After a few twists with the drill, the rod is withdrawn and the ball drill unscrewed from the body of the tool. This exposes the ball puller which can be twisted into the drilled ball with a lot less torque. The added step and 20 grams of ball drill weight are well worth not ruining a day in the field by twisting a rod into jagged pieces.

The jag and the worm can be installed where the ball drill and puller were on the end of the ram rod adapter any time they are needed. These photos show the bore adapter still in place, but it is not needed when using either the jag or the worm.

that is very cool!!!!!!!

Rifleman1776,
When I built the first couple of version of this tool, I was worried about the joints as well. That's why I tap all my ram rods for 10-32 rather than 8-32 and I only make this tool with 10-32 threaded attachments. Several people have asked me to make one in 8-32 because their ram rod is 8-32. I don't do that and just tell them that if they want the tool they will need to convert their ram rod ends to the larger thread size. Not hard to do if you have a drill and tap. Many don't want to because all their other ram rod attachments are 8-32. The weak link is always how well the ram rod ends are attached to a wooden rod. Mine are steel cross pinned....and even at that, that's why I came up with the ball drill....much less torque required to get the ball puller into the ball so safer on the ram rod.

Rifleman1776,
When I built the first couple of version of this tool, I was worried about the joints as well. That's why I tap all my ram rods for 10-32 rather than 8-32 and I only make this tool with 10-32 threaded attachments. Several people have asked me to make one in 8-32 because their ram rod is 8-32. I don't do that and just tell them that if they want the tool they will need to convert their ram rod ends to the larger thread size. Not hard to do if you have a drill and tap. Many don't want to because all their other ram rod attachments are 8-32. The weak link is always how well the ram rod ends are attached to a wooden rod. Mine are steel cross pinned....and even at that, that's why I came up with the ball drill....much less torque required to get the ball puller into the ball so safer on the ram rod.

Here is what Track of the Wolf has

Attachments

• 3A6B008A-29F4-44FE-84B9-E067CA7B4428_4_5005_c.jpeg
    3A6B008A-29F4-44FE-84B9-E067CA7B4428_4_5005_c.jpeg
    8.9 KB · Views: 20
I too am impressed with your inventiveness and skill to have come up with this....Well Done Sir...

A bit late to the party, but I hope that you are still well and making this ingenious multitool.
while I agree that it's also muzzle loading jewelry, which would be at home in the case of a presentation weapon, it's the most practical portable full maintenance tool I've seen.

I would gladly add it's weight to my field pouch. Worth that weight in gold.

Back