• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I want to build a Fowler which kit would you choose?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No matter what style appeals to you, a first question that should be asked about any kit, parts set, or barrel for a fowler project should be, “What does the barrel weigh?”

If it is to be an upland wing shooting gun, you want a barrel that weighsunder 4 pounds. If an all-purpose smoothbore, or a turkey gun, or a round ball plunker then a heavier barrel may be desirable.

My 12ga was from a stock blank with the barrel inletted and ramrod hole drilled by Fred Miller, he is no longer in business, Knob Mountain took over his patterns.

I wanted to learn how to inlet as well and did the rest by myself. I got my lock from Chambers and everything else from TOW except for what I made, like the trigger plate and trigger.

View attachment 52620View attachment 52621
Very nice work Sir!

No matter what style appeals to you, a first question that should be asked about any kit, parts set, or barrel for a fowler project should be, “What does the barrel weigh?”

If it is to be an upland wing shooting gun, you want a barrel that weighsunder 4 pounds. If an all-purpose smoothbore, or a turkey gun, or a round ball plunker then a heavier barrel may be desirable.
Thanks for the advise @rich pierce

Brad Emig at Cabin Creek Muzzleloading has a nice Colonial American Fowler kit. He is very easy to talk to and is very helpful.

Back