• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Original Swiss Jaeger, any info. on maker ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many of these small villages have records that go back to the year dot. If you search for the name of the town where the gun was made they can tell you more about the maker.
This worked for me several years ago in a town in Switzerland called Le Lech.

I concur with the conversion, but I'd still like to see the barrel, please.

TFoley these photos show the percussion conversion, proof marks & names stamped on underside of the barrel.
Back when I acquired this rifle it's prefect rifled bore & excellent overall condition was a big draw & have always leaned towards European & English mfg. firearms because their fine metallurgy standards & workmanship.
Unfortunately never got around to shooting this rifle & am now too old.
It's condition indicates it must have belonged to a long line of fellow shooter / collectors :thumb:

I may be over the hill but will never be too old to learn & always welcome input from fellow collectors.
When wife & I had to downsize a couple years ago some of my library on European gunmakers & proof marks vanished so I much appreciate input.
Best regards,
Relic shooter

Attachments

• Pictures from Iphone 990.jpg
    Pictures from Iphone 990.jpg
    416.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Pictures from Iphone 987.jpg
    Pictures from Iphone 987.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Pictures from Iphone 1043.jpg
    Pictures from Iphone 1043.jpg
    632.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Pictures from Iphone 1049.jpg
    Pictures from Iphone 1049.jpg
    541.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Pictures from Iphone 1047.jpg
    Pictures from Iphone 1047.jpg
    649.5 KB · Views: 0
Many of these small villages have records that go back to the year dot. If you search for the name of the town where the gun was made they can tell you more about the maker.
This worked for me several years ago in a town in Switzerland called Le Lech.
Excellent idea Holzwurm, I'll give that a try !

Enfin, je vois! The barrel maker is clearly, as you note, Blackon, and the word 'Tordu' denotes the manner of fabrication - 'twisted', rather than mandrel-wrapped.

After that, I'm afraid, I'm lost, except to note that the barrel maker operated in a French-speaking part of Switzerland.

TFoley & Blackpowder your in help identifying the identities on this Swiss Jaeger & the Danish Jaeger is much appreciated.
When I expanded the photo of underside of the Swiss barrel it appears we may have gotten the verbage wrong.
It appears that the stamps read;
TORDU & below; BLACHON* & MONTAGNY .

Having my library of European gunmakers disappear after we downsized really left me in a pickle to identify
my two remaining Jaegers.
Hopefully one day these fine rifles will end up in hands of fellow shooter-collectors who will see that they live-on for a
few more centuries.
Relic shooter

1686756381484.png

Latest posts

Back