• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I bought the best caps ever made.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
though this is a recently revived zombie thread i will offer this bit of information or bs. you decide.
in another life I had a Gunshop. it served several purposes but was never meant to make a profit. which it achieved very well.
while running that shop, the commies in charge started a long list of unconstitutional laws and regulations, such as all gun purchases had to go through a FFl, a 10 day waiting period, must be 21 to purchase a gun, etc.
I was well on first name basis with about 6 other shop owners that ran their shops strictly for profit.
without exception they actively supported these measures. they realized the vein of gold it represented to their businesses, 2A be damned.

Not saying this is the case here, but just another thought. I own retail stores (not firearms related). During Covid there were certain items we could not get from any supplier due to shortages and some products were estimated at over a year out or more. 30 year customers would come in for their items and it was difficult to tell them we would be out of stock for at least another year, they relied on us. We searched out alternative sources and for many of these items we were paying inflated retail prices just so we could offer them to our customers. Selling these at cost or even a loss were sometimes now 3 times what we would normally sell them for. Although we did it because these parts were necessary, I am sure people thought we were gouging them. Even though the customer got what they needed, when they needed it and it was sold at a loss, Im sure many thought it was Us that was the price gouger, and maybe even talked about it on a forum mentioning the store name or leaving a review. The overall point is that it is not always the brick and mortar retailer.

At least they must be for what I paid for them.
There’s a black powder and muzzleloading store that was in Orlando FL but now in Sanford.
I have a friend that lives near it so I asked him to stop by and see if they have #10 caps. I live 2 hours away. He was to call me when he arrived in the store since he’s know very little about BP stuff. Well, he didn’t call until he’d already bought what they told him was their last tin of Remington 10 caps.

They charged him $26.95!!!!!!
I am still PO’d. Not at him since he was doing me a favor but I feel like they saw him coming.
What a ripoff. They’ll never get my business again.
I always read about guys buying caps for crazy prices online and I think “not me,” Well it’s my turn to learn a lesson.
I’m gonna thoroughly enjoy shooting every single one of these caps.
Sorry for the rant.
I am going to tell you that Remington isn't making caps right now. There is a huge shortage of them that is still going on. Schuetzen Powder has brought over RWS caps from Germany and their distributors are selling out of them before they even get them. Vista owns CCI, Remington and a couple of other percussion cap makers, and NONE are making them currently. Yes the price is getting higher, because of the demand. Even when caps do come back into stock, you will be paying a higher price. Just letting you know.

At least they must be for what I paid for them.
There’s a black powder and muzzleloading store that was in Orlando FL but now in Sanford.
I have a friend that lives near it so I asked him to stop by and see if they have #10 caps. I live 2 hours away. He was to call me when he arrived in the store since he’s know very little about BP stuff. Well, he didn’t call until he’d already bought what they told him was their last tin of Remington 10 caps.

They charged him $26.95
Thanks now I feel better I only paid $24.95 for mine.

Vista owns CCI, Remington and a couple of other percussion cap makers, and NONE are making them currently.
Was aware of the ownership change (Czech CSG recently bought Vista Outdoor Sporting Products) but not their current production status. Could you post a link to or cite your information source please? Interested in what those folks are up to these days...

Another reason I'm more of a flintlock fancier than capper. I remember the days when the cost per shot for an ml rifle was almost too small to calculate. I still have a couple tins of caps from the ml gunshop I had in the 70s that are marked 79 cents, RETAIL.

Another reason I'm more of a flintlock fancier than capper. I remember the days when the cost per shot for an ml rifle was almost too small to calculate. I still have a couple tins of caps from the ml gunshop I had in the 70s that are marked 79 cents, RETAIL.
Yes. The same goes for me. However I just got involved with cap and ball revolvers a couple years ago so I needed some caps.
It's funny. I just noticed this thread was resurrected. The purchase of these great caps was a good while ago.

I would never have paid what the store was asking for them. My friend lives near this store so he bought them for me. He didn't know the price was ridiculous but it was very nice of him to do this for me.

Bought (3) tins of #10s from a modern ‘toy’ shop recently … only $5 a tin! Gotta love it when they don’t know quite what they have, lol.

Had to give them to my brother, as I can’t use them …

1000000731.jpg

I've heard that's the first thing zombies are looking for. Keep em hidden.
I got lucky, found a guy a fellow member of NMLRA who is up in age and selling off all his BP stuff, i bought up all his caps. Got enough for 2-3 years. Prolly enough for most people 10 years but I shoot my 2 Colts 100 rounds a week sometimes twice a week. I go through crazy caps and balls. Right place right time, I got lucky.
We have a big mound of dirt behind range as a backstop. Ive often wondered how many tons of lead are in that dirt pile.

Last edited:
A "crazy thought" leads to an "open question" for the forum.............

Do they make musket caps nipples to fit TC rifles, and then could some type of insert be put onto the musket cap or into the cup of the TC hammer to make the combination work?

Old No7

A "crazy thought" leads to an "open question" for the forum.............

Do they make musket caps nipples to fit TC rifles, and then could some type of insert be put onto the musket cap or into the cup of the TC hammer to make the combination work?

Old No7
They certainly do. Or at least did. I say that because it's been a few years since I needed one. The trick is to know what thread the nipple uses. However, my TC uses #11 caps.

I agree that I would never patronize that gun store again. The only other thing I would do is politely communicate to them why. Will it do any good? It may not change their immediate policies but it at least notifies them that people are aware of their crooked business has/is costing them customers and their reputation.
It is called supply and demand and (NOT) a rip off . You said you want and then you can not gripe sending someone with no price range ! He and the shop did you a big favor so stop whining !!!/Ed

Latest posts

Back