• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I bought the best caps ever made.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TarponStalker

54 Cal.
Reaction score
At least they must be for what I paid for them.
There’s a black powder and muzzleloading store that was in Orlando FL but now in Sanford.
I have a friend that lives near it so I asked him to stop by and see if they have #10 caps. I live 2 hours away. He was to call me when he arrived in the store since he’s know very little about BP stuff. Well, he didn’t call until he’d already bought what they told him was their last tin of Remington 10 caps.

They charged him $26.95!!!!!!
I am still PO’d. Not at him since he was doing me a favor but I feel like they saw him coming.
What a ripoff. They’ll never get my business again.
I always read about guys buying caps for crazy prices online and I think “not me,” Well it’s my turn to learn a lesson.
I’m gonna thoroughly enjoy shooting every single one of these caps.
Sorry for the rant.

Attachments

• 481FD152-F083-44CB-ACDA-6559072CB0DE.jpeg
    481FD152-F083-44CB-ACDA-6559072CB0DE.jpeg
    471.5 KB · Views: 8
I agree that I would never patronize that gun store again. The only other thing I would do is politely communicate to them why. Will it do any good? It may not change their immediate policies but it at least notifies them that people are aware of their crooked business has/is costing them customers and their reputation.

For the price of two tins you could have got the cap maker and for the price of three added the components and made 1000's. I will be ordering both a # 10 and # 11 when I am off probation.

Funny how a little thing like USED .36 coming in the same day she found the receipt for NAA .22 mag in my pants can matter for so dang long?

For the price of two tins you could have got the cap maker and for the price of three added the components and made 1000's. I will be ordering both a # 10 and # 11 when I am off probation.

Funny how a little thing like USED .36 coming in the same day she found the receipt for NAA .22 mag in my pants can matter for so dang long?
Yeah, I've had to deal with PO on occasion. One was a bit upset that I could not tell her whether or not her probationer had bought a black powder gun or not. Another one bought a gun, got approved and picked up his gun. His PO showed up the next day and was incensed at me for delivering when she couldn't be bothered to reply to the background check folks before the delay expired. Pretty sure he caught hell.

Both times I managed to bite my tongue.

There’s a black powder and muzzleloading store that was in Orlando FL but now in Sanford.
I have a friend that lives near it so I asked him to stop by and see if they have #10 caps. I live 2 hours away. He was to call me when he arrived in the store since he’s know very little about BP stuff. Well, he didn’t call until he’d already bought what they told him was their last tin of Remington 10 caps.

I am still PO’d. Not at him since he was doing me a favor but I feel like they saw him coming.
I always read about guys buying caps for crazy prices online and I think “not me,” Well it’s my turn to learn a lesson.
Sorry for the rant.
I saw #10’s at sportsman warehouse bout 2 weeks ago for $5.99, CCI. They haven’t had #11’s in over a year.

Everything around here is number 11. I can't find tens anywhere. I stopped back at the sporting goods store in the town I used to live in when I was driving through one day and they finally had some caps. They were 11 bucks a can. I am not surprised though this place always had higher prices than everywhere else the only good thing about that is they always have stuff in stock as a result . I stocked up anyway you never know when the next amazing crisis is going to make them scarce again. Unfortunately I had just ordered the cap making tool. It works great. I have had 100% success with all the Caps I have made so far. I like to use store-bought caps on the revolvers though because I don't think the homemade ones are safe as far as Chainfire goes.

I agree that I would never patronize that gun store again. The only other thing I would do is politely communicate to them why. Will it do any good? It may not change their immediate policies but it at least notifies them that people are aware of their crooked business has/is costing them customers and their reputation.
I took your advice and called them. First of all the owner was surprised that they even had Remington number ten caps as they only carry ccI now and their normal price is $21.95 not $26.95.
He graciously apologized for that, and told me if I came back in, he would make the correction. That still high for a box of caps, but at least he acknowledged that they were marked wrong.

Having lived through the various shooting supply shortages I've made mental note of those businesses who've charged scalpers prices and I don't do business with them any longer. About 20 years ago I ran low on blackpowder and after an exhausting local search I found a shop that had a few pounds, I bought two which cost me nearly $60 out the door. The counterman explained government regulations drove his inflated price. I shortly thereafter bought a case, 25 lb, mail order for about $15 per pound delivered. I've never been back although I drove by the store location a few years later and it was closed up, I'm assuming others may have had issues with how that business operated.

I saw #10’s at sportsman warehouse bout 2 weeks ago for $5.99, CCI. They haven’t had #11’s in over a year.
It’s just the opposite at the Sportsmans warehouse where I live. First of all, they never carry any caps, but the guy told me I could get them delivered there if I order them online. When I looked online for sportsman’s warehouse, I didn’t even see number 10 caps. All I saw was number 11.
My son was able to pick up some number 10 CCI caps in Texas for me. I know they fit tight on the nipples of my pistol but they’re better than nothing.

Prices are high even without price gougers like that, but before I would pay that kind of money, I would improvise something for my caplocks and maybe use my flintlock(s) more. Yeah, still holding onto that dream of the Pedersoli flintlock double rifle. Might get it ordered this month yet.
Thanks Dale.
Yes, I agree and I do shoot my flintlock rifle more than anything but I have to cap and ball revolvers that I enjoy shooting and I need caps for those.

Thanks Dale.
Yes, I agree and I do shoot my flintlock rifle more than anything but I have to cap and ball revolvers that I enjoy shooting and I need caps for those.
Most of my own ML guns... about a dozen I'd guess... are caplocks, so I need caps as well. So far, I haven't had to work just too hard to keep them in good supply and hopefully that will continue, but there are workarounds I am aware of in case they get to be in short supply again. I keep enough at home to tide me over for quite a while and replace as I use them. I use a FIFO type inventory system as a rule to keep the stock relatively new.

Sorry for the rant.
I know that store and used to use them before they moved to Sanford. They would limit their high priced gunpowder and caps sales and now has gotten to the point where if I take into consideration the travel time, gas, and number of trips needed to stock up I come out ahead buying in bulk on line even with the shipping and hazmat charges. BTW-if you want to get together on orders PM me.

I know that store and used to use them before they moved to Sanford. They would limit their high priced gunpowder and caps sales and now has gotten to the point where if I take into consideration the travel time, gas, and number of trips needed to stock up I come out ahead buying in bulk on line even with the shipping and hazmat charges. BTW-if you want to get together on orders PM me.
Thank you. I’ve tried to figure out how to get with someone else to share an order.

Back