• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CCI Caps.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
At the reenactment of the Battle of San Jacinto, I had several no-fires. The cap went off, but no Boom. Usually, the 2nd cap fired the charge.
I found that the nipple was blocked, even though I cleaned it thoroughly the day before. So, I cleaned the nipple, and got a small lump of something out. I described the issue during a cease-fire, and a Texian asked if I was using CCI caps.
I told him that I was using CCI, and asked if they were the problem, since the caps fired every time.
The Texian said that he had heard, discovered, whatever, that the caps had a membrane to protect the charge, and they would sometimes block the nipple.
That would explain what I was experiencing.
Has anyone else heard of/ experienced the CCI nipple-blocking membrane?

Thinking about this:
These caps might have some years on them. Would that harden the membrane so that it wouldn't burn, like a new cap membrane would?
Thoughts? :dunno:

I've had little bits of circular stuff get lodged in the upper nipple hole. Causing blockage.

Lightish in color.

Need a small nipple prick to pry it out.

Never a problem since I switched everything over to musket nipples and Schuetzen caps.

CCI #11 have thousands used and more to go never happened to me ,however I clear my side locks with 2 before shooting . But I flush my barrel out after shooting too with plain water , maybe that has something to do with it cause what I'm using are several yrs old as in 27.00 per 1000 !

Sometimes there will be something in or on the nipple opening after a shot. Piece of the cap, a deposit or whatever. I always give the nipple and hammer a check before capping. Only takes a second or two and nothing I consider an issue. Overall CCI #11's have done fine for me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back