• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hybrid patch lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nw_hunter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I use to use T/C borebutter for patch lube, but I didn't like the way it hardened up in cold weather.

I mostly use just olive oil now, but I like the smell of the BB, so I decided to try and mix the two.I used about 3/4 O oil to 1/4 BB.It mixed well to a golden colored liquid.

I punched out about a hundred new pillow tick patches and lubed them up with the hybrid liquid.
They smell real purdy, and now it's off to my favorite shootin place to give them a try.

You never know!......I could be on to something.

When I was a kid, I found myself with no lube and no tallow or beeswax around to make any with. So I grabbed a stick of salt free butter out of the fridge and stuffed it into a jar and went rabbit hunting. I carried it in my inside jacket pocket to keep it soft. It made a fine lube on a crisp fall day and and I had good luck with the rabbits. Had to keep the jar in the icebox though to keep it from going rancid on me, but otherwise it was just fine.

If you like the smell of BB and are happy with the olive oil you might consider using just the olive oil and flavoring it with spearmint or peppermint oil to your liking and totally eliminate the BB altogether. :thumbsup:

Back