• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

dry patch lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course the dry patch system works for hunting.
Why would anyone change it at all?
There's a lot of myth out there about "hunting loads" and what it takes to kill this or that.
Or "I need the max load for the rifle!" bull going on,,
The reality is an ethical hunter will use the most accurate load combination he can achieve with his rifle for hunting.
Another reality is there's a lot of guys that will shoot at a deer, a hunter will shoot at a deers heart.
I like to hunt with the most accurate load the gun can give me regardless of the powder charge. you don't need a howitzer to kill deer just a well placed shot.

If one can get good groups, use whatever charge you want, if you do it regularly it can encourage flinching. I use 100 grains of FF in my .54. 70 grains of 3F starts to get irritating in my .50

In my Green Mountain barrels, 1:7 Ballistol:water has proven to work best. Incredible precision when optimizing all components and shooting from a rest. My best combination is very tight ( dry patch of a lite canvas, .020 compressed, lubed as described by our friend Dutch-GBNF, .500 ball) very tight but shoots like a laser. I’m talking about 10 ball’s going through one hole I can juussst about cover with a quarter, from 50 yds . That’s my first shot. On deer and hogs from 25 out to 100 ( actually measured), I haven’t needed a second shot but would definitely have to wipe the bore if I did, or carry a “ backup combination” with a slightly smaller ball, thinner patch, possibly lubed with mink oil. To each their own.

Y'all got me thinking.

The greatest patching material I've found to date is Taylor Pork Roll casing material. It's the single tightest weave I've ever seen in a fabric. So I thought I'd try and figure out the oily meat juice that saturates TPR casings.

I decided on 1/4 cup of dawn, a 1/4 cup of olive oil and 1 pint of water. Mix the Dawn and olive oil into a paste. Then slowly add the water and mix.

Put your washed and dried patch material in the solution and soak and squeeze into the fibers.

Remove from solution and without wringing it out place outside to dry.

Looking forward to trying it in my freshly rebuilt Traditions Kentuckyish in .50 cal.

Attachments

• IMG_3454 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_3454 - Copy.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3455 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_3455 - Copy.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3458 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_3458 - Copy.JPG
    743 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3459 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_3459 - Copy.JPG
    883.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3460 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_3460 - Copy.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3461.JPG
    IMG_3461.JPG
    766.2 KB · Views: 0
Hey 64 Springer that's a NJ pork product your using:thumb:. I loved my pork roll & cheese "samitch" on a Kiser Roll. Here in CA they don't know what that is. I was ordering some Taylor Pork Roll from back east but that got to be expensive:(. I also like Scrapple and eggs -- I think I may have to put an order in for both - you only live once as the saying goes:p.

Latest posts

Back