• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Coconut oil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you mean Copha, which is refined coconut oil then I found it was way too hard for me. It need something else to keep it at that consistency that can be used on a patch etc. My go to is Beeswax and enough (read lots) Peanut oil to make a soft pliable consistency. Works for me, nice on the hands, super slick in the gun and clean.

You know how many thousands of acres of tropical rainforest have been destroyed just to plant coconut palms? All just so you can smear some fancy oil on a patch when plain old spit works just fine? Don't you feel guilty?? I don't either but I don't like the stuff since I had a perfectly good elk steak ruined because it was fried in coconut oil when anyone knows that the thing to use is bacon grease.

You know how many thousands of acres of tropical rainforest have been destroyed just to plant coconut palms? All just so you can smear some fancy oil on a patch when plain old spit works just fine? Don't you feel guilty?? I don't either but I don't like the stuff since I had a perfectly good elk steak ruined because it was fried in coconut oil when anyone knows that the thing to use is bacon grease.
My wife bought a tub of your version of coconut oil [Crisco] thinking she would cook with it. Didn't happen, so now I have a lifetime supply. If Jerry Garcia could be buried with his rosewood guitar, I figure I can use up the environment destroying coconut lard I already have without offending the Earth goddess. Solid at room temp it melts quickly at body temp so you can make up patches with it in your hands. Works clean and well in my rifles. Btw, Crisco, if you are still using that lard, shame on you ! Since money is fungible, Crisco is at least partially responsible for those destructive coconut groves. Maybe we should both switch to condor grease to save the planet or something. SW

SW,
Not to mention the hog pharts polluting the atmosphere! Actually, I quit using Crisco for both patch lube and cooking. It's been lard and beeswax on the patches for hunting when spit won't work and bacon grease in the skillet. I lubed some patches with Ballistol the other day and will give them a try this weekend. You could be on to something. Condor grease may be the Holy Grail of patch lube since it's pre-leaded. One nice thing about getting old is that I quit worrying about the stuff that was supposed to have killed me years ago.

SW,
Not to mention the hog pharts polluting the atmosphere! Actually, I quit using Crisco for both patch lube and cooking. It's been lard and beeswax on the patches for hunting when spit won't work and bacon grease in the skillet. I lubed some patches with Ballistol the other day and will give them a try this weekend. You could be on to something. Condor grease may be the Holy Grail of patch lube since it's pre-leaded. One nice thing about getting old is that I quit worrying about the stuff that was supposed to have killed me years ago.
I did read that condor grease should be mixed with a small amount of spotted owl oil and it must be kept in a gator skin pouch to stay fresh. I went through a lot of condors before I read that. Had to switch to bald eagles when I moved to Mt 30 years ago. We don't kill em outright. If you hang out under those genius windmills on the eastern front they drop out of the sky pre-killed and tenderized for easy grease extraction. Eagle grease requires no additives. Make sure you get a permit. SW

Maybe we should both switch to condor grease to save the planet or something. SW

I've been using manatee drippings for a while now. More economical than condor grease. On manatee keeps me shooting for a whole year. Only problem with it is the odor attracts Florida panthers which must be killed in self defense. However, those panther hides easily pull fifteen bucks at the flea market so.....

How do lubed patches spontaneously combust?
Linseed oil is a self polymerising drying oil. That is why it is used for paint. In oxidising to do so it is exothermic. ie gives off heat. If the patching material soaked with linseed oil is stored folded or stacked up the heat cannot get out so it can self ignite after a time. This is why one should never leave rags with linseed oil on them lying about. Many fires in workshops began this way. I always burn them somewhere safe at the end of the day. The same applies to paper.

Linseed oil is a self polymerising drying oil. That is why it is used for paint. In oxidising to do so it is exothermic. ie gives off heat. If the patching material soaked with linseed oil is stored folded or stacked up the heat cannot get out so it can self ignite after a time. This is why one should never leave rags with linseed oil on them lying about. Many fires in workshops began this way. I always burn them somewhere safe at the end of the day. The same applies to paper.
Well I learned something today. Thanks.

Ballistol and water, or Dawn and water, or windshield washer fluid straight. Working fine since 1971. No sludge or rust.

Anyone tried coconut oil for lube. I'm talking the hard kind. I was thinking of melting some and adding some liquid olive oil and dip patches in it or let it solidify and rub the patches in it. Yes/ No
I use the white coconut oil that come in a jar with a blue plastic lid, I can’t remember the name off hand but I use it along with olive oil beeswax and lamb tallow to make pistol wads. I like it and can’t see why it wouldn’t work for patches Minus the beeswax of course.

I used to cook w/ coconut oil. I liked it. Haven't tried it as patch lube.
to twist the thread a bit, I've read (probably here, come to think of it) that jojoba oil has very similar characteristics to Sperm Whale oil.
I picked up a bit, but haven't had a chance to try it yet.
(I'm retired, so I don't have much experimentation time. Too many "could you..." friends.)

Back