• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch lube confusion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have seen several references to Track of the Wolf selling a patch lube named Mink Oil. This is what I know Mink Oil is. This is a thick grease used to waterproof your boots and leather. Is this what TOTW is recommending as patch lube ??
Ohio Rusty ><>

Attachments

• mink oil.JPG
    mink oil.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 8
I looked at some SDS sheets for the so-called "mink oils" that don't contain silicone, and they are often mixes of petroleum jelly, paraffin wax, lard oil, and distillates. The better ones are beeswax, distillates, and <5% mink oil. Still not as good as TOTW's stuff.
That’s interesting. I have always been told and believed that all the shoe grade mink oil contained silicon. I have several cans that I use on boots. Might have to research the ingredients of the cans I have. I’m sure it varies from brand to brand.

When hunting I use sofsole mink oil for shoes. I have for several years. I’ve shot a lot with it. Zero difference than pure mink oil in performance or any residues. Works exactly the same. I bought five tins of it several years ago on Amazon.
A1D2EFA6-A5F5-428E-B0C3-4B9E0311C1E9.png
222B84DE-AC89-429D-925C-CB449774B70A.png

don't know about perfect but I use it and am satisfied. its available local and doesn't have a muzzleloader price tag added on.

Skidmore's

-Ingredients - "Almost all beaswax" , chances are that the other ingredients include some of the following: pine pitch, mink oil, vegetable oils

Foggy Mountain Bear Guard

-Ingredients - Bear fat and beaswax

Sno-seal

-Ingredients - Beaswax

Mermac Mink Oil

-Ingredients - Beaswax and mink oil

Obenauf's LP

-Ingredients - "Three natural oils are suspended in Beeswax and Propolis," chances are the oils consist of/ probably include some of the following: mink oil,pine pitch, vegetable oils, neatsfoot oil

Tectron Sno-seal

-Ingredients - Beaswax - Cannot tell whether it is a rip-off of Atsko or what?

Montana Pitch-Blend

-Ingredients - Beaswax, Pine pitch, mink oil

Kiwi

-Ingredients - Petroleum and mink oil,

WARNING I have heard their mink oil actually contains silicone. When waterproofing smooth leathers, the lack of silicone is a necessity. I will spare the details but as a chemist, you will want to avoid it, trust me.

Nor-V-Gen

-Ingredients - No Silicone or animal by-products. Probably a combination of vegetable oils, Beaswax, and pine pitch

White's LP

-Ingredients - Beaswax, propolis '100% all natural'

Fiebing's Mink Oil

-Ingredients - Has Silicone, avoid

Nikwax

-Avoid, 'water based' means suspended silicone, avoid

What Ive been saying for years here. Here this is from Thomson Center

9. Is T/C's Natural Lube 1000 Plus Bore Butter really that good? How does it work?

It sure is, and if you've got some friends, who are using it, ask them. Our All Natural "Bore Butter" is absent of any petroleum based oil, and contains an ingredient which seasons the bore with repeated use, just as you would season a cast iron skillet. Tar, used to pave highways, is made by heating petroleum based oil. In other words, heat plus petroleum oil equals tar! That's what causes the heavy fouling when shooting a muzzleloader with conventional petroleum based lubes. The problem of heavy fouling was one not encountered in the old days, as the oils used then were all natural' whale oil, bear fat, deer tallow, etc. Petroleum based oils were not discovered until the mid-1800's, and during the Civil War, fouling did become a problem.

A biodegradable all natural lubricant which contains no petroleum-based oil or additives. Reacts differently (chemically) to the combustion of black powder, producing far less tar like fouling. 5oz. tube ideally suited for easy application on patches. Can also be used to lube bullets. Excellent rust preventative on external surfaces of any firearm.

Dang If I could find whats in it.

a lot of lube info

Herman Survivors Mink Oil​

ingredients of this mink oil. 80% mink oil, 10% coconut oil, 10% beeswax,

not all internet experts are experts.
That sounds like a great mix. Where did you find the ingredients though? I can't even find the manufacturers' website!

On that WalMart link, someone asked the question but didn't get an answer:
"What is the breakdown/percentage of ingredients of this mink oil. For example, 80% mink oil, 10% coconut oil, 10% beeswax, etc. I would feel more comfortable using this product on decent boots, etc. if I knew the product's percentage contents. WalMart - what is there to hide? No sense in ruining decent shoes on a cheap so-called "preservative" ..."

Latest posts

Back