• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Coconut oil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I played with it a little. Not sure what you consider the hard kind. Mine solidified T a given temp. I don't remember what it was exactly but somewhere in the 70's. So, when it's warm and liquid it's easy to saturate patches.

I abandoned it because it is not consistent enough across the range of temps that are encountered in shoots and hunting. Even in a warm season, in the Rockies temps can be very low in the morning.

I'm not commenting on it's shooting characteristics here. Just on how it changes with the temperature. It might shoot 10X all day at any temperature. I just don't want to deal with applying a hard lube under cold circumstances.

I mix the coconut oil with Track's mink oil. I use the non-hardening type and adjust the hardness with the mink oil. It works fine and seems to clean up easier than some lubes. I don't care for the normal type because it is temperature sensitive

I use it, the refined so it doesn't smell like coconut.
I really like it for lubing felt wads. I've used it straight, and mixed with other oils. I've not had any issue with the fact that it solidifies at room temp. Your body heat is enough to liquefy it, so 60 to 80 grains of black powder igniting below it makes it a liquid again quick even if out in cold weather.
I like that it is slippery but not drippy. Once summer comes along, I'll melt it and add some melted beeswax to help keep it from being runny and drippy.

As with most natural products, try it, you really can't hurt anything.

I mix the coconut oil with Track's mink oil. I use the non-hardening type and adjust the hardness with the mink oil. It works fine and seems to clean up easier than some lubes. I don't care for the normal type because it is temperature sensitive

I didn't know there is a non hardening?? Learned something new. Just in Time. Feeling sleepy.

a reporter asked Johnny cash, why do you play the same rhythm on every song and other people play different rhythms on every song? cash said, because they are still looking for it, i found it. if you use dawn dish soap and water around 30% dawn, 60% water you will have found it, and the only thing you will use coconut oil for is popping popcorn,,,,,,,,,,,

um repórter perguntou a Johnny Cash, por que você toca o mesmo ritmo em todas as músicas e outras pessoas tocam ritmos diferentes em todas as músicas? dinheiro disse, porque eles ainda estão procurando, eu encontrei. se você usar detergente da aurora e água em torno de 30% da aurora, 60% da água você terá encontrado, e a única coisa que você vai usar óleo de coco é estourar pipoca,,,,,,,,,,,
30%+60%=90%
Where are the 10%?

Most coconut oil i know of starts melting at 76 degrees, warmer the temp the faster it melts. I have never heard of hard coconut oil unless its not pure.
It may be a reference to coco butter. Coco butter, like chocolate, can be tempered to be hard at room temp. Tempering alters the crystalline structure. The melting point is raised.

I use a fair amount of coconut oil. I do not use any for ML patches.

There are dozens of patch lube threads can can be searched here. Coconut oil has been covered.

Crisco makes a refined coconut lard w out any smell. I just put a small amount on my fingers, it liquifies w body temp and I rub up a patch at a time. Goes quick and works good. No mess, just rub excess into skin. Good stuff w good lubricity. Mine was left over from a cooking experiment. It will mix right in w Wonder Lube patches that have gone a bit dry as well. Can't hurt to try it. Where I live it will only melt down when I am fishing. SW

The Honourable East India Company used coconut oil and bees wax as the patch lubricant in one of the Presidencies armies for their Brunswick Rifles.

They had changed from the British army tallow and bees wax to linseed oil and bees wax but the patches were slightly prone to spontaneous combustion. Which is sub optimal in a firearm cartridge……… Actually probably in the material stores before being used as patching. Hence the change to coconut oil. They were perfectly happy with the end result.

Back