• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How hard is it to make caps?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been saving my spent caps and have a supply of prime-all but just haven't tried it yet since I bought a ton of primers before they went up. I started stocking up on everything after the political environment indicated Joseph Stalin wasn't completely dead. Have any of you tried re-loading your spent caps? It might behoove you to save them for darker days. If you're not going to save them, maybe sell them to someone who will reload them.

I've been saving my spent caps and have a supply of prime-all but just haven't tried it yet since I bought a ton of primers before they went up. I started stocking up on everything after the political environment indicated Joseph Stalin wasn't completely dead. Have any of you tried re-loading your spent caps? It might behoove you to save them for darker days. If you're not going to save them, maybe sell them to someone who will reload them.
I have a collection of them. I tap them through my drilled aluminum plate that I use to downsize my homemade caps from #11 to #10 to reform them. Then use them for my revolver.

My caps get destroyed when I shoot my revolver. If your referring to primers I did reload a few large pistol primers for someone to try one time and he said they worked fine.

My caps get destroyed when I shoot my revolver. If your referring to primers I did reload a few large pistol primers for someone to try one time and he said they worked fine.
I primarily use 209s and they are generally pretty salvageable. I'm a newby and have never used #10 or #11 caps...I was unaware they were usually destroyed when fired. I've been on the fence about getting an 1858 Remington because of the chronic cap shortage that's been going on for the past few years. It seems that flintlock is the way to go these days.

I primarily use 209s and they are generally pretty salvageable. I'm a newby and have never used #10 or #11 caps...I was unaware they were usually destroyed when fired. I've been on the fence about getting an 1858 Remington because of the chronic cap shortage that's been going on for the past few years. It seems that flintlock is the way to go these days.
Get a 58 they are the least hassle most fun guns I have.

Gotcha! When I started down the black powder road three years ago caps were nowhere to be found. I bought a Remington and the cap making kit with prime all and made my own. At least caps are available now, so I have some of both.

Get a 58 they are the least hassle most fun guns I have.
The Remington is great, but I recently acquired something I like even better! It’s a Roger’s & Spencer! Took it out to shoot yesterday and it was amazing! Easy to put caps on and very accurate. No cylinder binding at all. Unfortunately they are hard to find so I agree the Remington is the way to go to get started.

The Remington is great, but I recently acquired something I like even better! It’s a Roger’s & Spencer! Took it out to shoot yesterday and it was amazing! Easy to put caps on and very accurate. No cylinder binding at all. Unfortunately they are hard to find so I agree the Remington is the way to go to get started.
The wifes 58 is a 36 and that one is very accurate not that the 44 is bad.

I have a collection of them. I tap them through my drilled aluminum plate that I use to downsize my homemade caps from #11 to #10 to reform them. Then use them for my revolver.
What size hole do you use in your plate? Seems like something I should do.

Forgive me if this is just a little off the subject. But, speaking of the present cost of percussion caps, I have two tins of Remington #10 caps from the 80's which I received in a trade with a friend. Neither opened until I tried some, and, they are still potent. Cost in the 80's.....$1.49 per tin of 100....cost locally at present......$10.00 per tin.
$1.49 in 1980 would be $5.50 in today's dollars, so the price has about doubled.

Gentlemen,
Hoffman Enterprises on YOUTUBE makes musket caps as well with a simple device he put together. I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to....

Easy not hard at all, 22sharpshooter has all needs from cap punches to prime all mix, I started making my own when covid had strangle hold, was $90 cap punch 1st round prime all does 1500-2000 caps but after that prime all $22 a round of 1500 to 2000 caps made yes I do and keep it on hand, Now I find 38 gauge copper sheets at hobby shops, for me work better than cans.

https://22lrreloader.com/

Latest posts

Back