• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another option for caps.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So BG, are you giving up on any thoughts of developing a metal cap producing die set? Have no desire or use for a so-called modern day plastic printer nor using plastic caps. Too much plastic this and that in the firearms industry.

Shipping on these could be pretty simple. Put x numbers in a ziplock bag in a post office envelope and add your time and trouble to go to the PO. If it's not worth it to you, don't do it. We are all just trying to have some fun here.
And what is the answer to the question the post office ask?
Does this contain ANY ………….?

Every time I turn around I'm finding another reason to buy a printer. I resisted by thinking they weren't quite ready for prime time. We are building a house. We were at the meeting when the floor plan and elevations were agreed to. The architect kept looking at his phone and suddenly hopped up and said I'll be right back. He returned with a freshly printed copy of the house with all the last minute changes! A 3d printer will be the first tool I'll get for the new shop!

I feel like this warranted another thread because it's a completely different option for those of us making our own caps. This idea dawned on me last night, and I know it may be a bit sacrilegious but I own a 3d printer that I bought for making parts for my airguns and slowly learned how to use CAD software. It took me a few tries but I made perfectly fitting caps and they do work with the priming compound in them. I can turn out over 100 an hour. And I'll still be making the forming die for the metal ones. This is a very good alternative. If interested, its as easy as buying the printer for 150, filament for 15 and sticking the SD card in and hitting "print." Im even willing to share the file with you all.View attachment 299716View attachment 299717View attachment 299718View attachment 299719

So BG, are you giving up on any thoughts of developing a metal cap producing die set? Have no desire or use for a so-called modern day plastic printer nor using plastic caps. Too much plastic this and that in the firearms industry.
No, I'm still going to hone the design on my cap die for those that want to go about it that way. This way might seem sacrilegious but it just works too well not to take advantage of when it gives the same end result of being able to fire my guns.

Bearded One - your invention's important because it will enable some mighty good folks to enjoy shooting percussion guns that may have no other means to do so. The home made cap gig's interesting, but I think others will agree that stamping out aluminum caps is not high on my bucket list.

So, for every pot, there's a lid. Your lid is helping fellow shooters. Good for you!

For another option, if I really, really wanted pretty caps, I do have a lathe. Mine is as old as I am and it would be a slow manual process but they would look good and maybe be reusable. One of the little automatic lathes from a real machine shop could crank them out in a steady stream. On the other hand, all I need is a piece of rope to make my matchlock go bang.

Bearded One - your invention's important because it will enable some mighty good folks to enjoy shooting percussion guns that may have no other means to do so. The home made cap gig's interesting, but I think others will agree that stamping out aluminum caps is not high on my bucket list.

So, for every pot, there's a lid. Your lid is helping fellow shooters. Good for you!
I appreciate that very much. I'm new to the black powder scene and it was immediately bothersome to see the industry absolutely lacking for people to be able to enjoy this hobby whether it be for sport, target or hunting so I wanted to find a solution that was viable and affordable for everyone. And even if folks don't have a printer, I think I will offer the caps (minus priming compound) so that people can stay in the game.

For another option, if I really, really wanted pretty caps, I do have a lathe. Mine is as old as I am and it would be a slow manual process but they would look good and maybe be reusable. One of the little automatic lathes from a real machine shop could crank them out in a steady stream. On the other hand, all I need is a piece of rope to make my matchlock go bang.
I considered that too, but being a gunsmith made me remember that time is money. But that is an option for a home gamer that's not in a hurry. I should also say that I found out that the primers pressed out of a 209 shotgun housing (just the center) is very close to a number 11 cap. And they're very strong and could likely be reused also, for anyone that has access to empty hulls.

I feel like this warranted another thread because it's a completely different option for those of us making our own caps. This idea dawned on me last night, and I know it may be a bit sacrilegious but I own a 3d printer that I bought for making parts for my airguns and slowly learned how to use CAD software. It took me a few tries but I made perfectly fitting caps and they do work with the priming compound in them. I can turn out over 100 an hour. And I'll still be making the forming die for the metal ones. This is a very good alternative. If interested, its as easy as buying the printer for 150, filament for 15 and sticking the SD card in and hitting "print." Im even willing to share the file with you all.View attachment 299716View attachment 299717View attachment 299718View attachment 299719

I honestly wouldn't know what to charge for something like this.

Here in Australia I'd buy a couple of thousand un-primed caps off you just to save me the trouble of setting up the whole operation, why not consider it a business opportunity ASAP ?

Seriously- this is a great business idea if you wanted to pursue it. You could team up with the primer mix guy.

Back