• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another option for caps.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I feel like this warranted another thread because it's a completely different option for those of us making our own caps. This idea dawned on me last night, and I know it may be a bit sacrilegious but I own a 3d printer that I bought for making parts for my airguns and slowly learned how to use CAD software. It took me a few tries but I made perfectly fitting caps and they do work with the priming compound in them. I can turn out over 100 an hour. And I'll still be making the forming die for the metal ones. This is a very good alternative. If interested, its as easy as buying the printer for 150, filament for 15 and sticking the SD card in and hitting "print." Im even willing to share the file with you all.
20240229_211632.jpg
20240229_212223.jpg
20240229_212744.jpg
20240229_221837.jpg

What is the outside diameter as opposed to a manufactured cup? I wonder if they will work in a capper?

What a great idea!

The next question is how well they contain the pressures developed when the main charge goes off. I'm eagerly waiting for your test results.

I want a 3D printer that produces metal parts. I hear they're still kind of expensive.

If you would consider selling them you could do well. The beer can caps work OK but they are kind of a pain on a revolver. I have no idea of the cost of materials for you and your time is certainly worth something but you should be able to make some pocket money. It's a great idea you have here.

I think my son just bought a printer off the Amazon. Maybe the same one.

Added:
Nope, he says his is an ANYCUBIC photon 2.

I know NOTHING, about these things.....
Even the different brands will run the same prints. Theres multiple ways to go about printing designs. I personally got onto a CAD program and designed these caps and saved the file that I then transfer to a mini SD card. You insert the SD card into the printer and hit print and let it do its thing. Or a person can find the 3d print files of what they want online, if it's something that someone else has already designed and shared the files of, then they can download them to the SD card, insert in printer and again press print. This is a very viable option for caps because I can start it before going to bed and wake up to 500 caps, if not more.

If you would consider selling them you could do well. The beer can caps work OK but they are kind of a pain on a revolver. I have no idea of the cost of materials for you and your time is certainly worth something but you should be able to make some pocket money. It's a great idea you have here.
I honestly wouldn't know what to charge for something like this.

I honestly wouldn't know what to charge for something like this.
Materials, plus labor, plus shipping.

Mark up materials to cover all overhead incurred, calculate enough labor time to make it worthwhile, and ship as cheaply as possible.

Incorporate all costs into one "price" per 100, or 500, or 1000, and say "free shipping".

Great work! Question or two - "Are these hard plastic or flexible ?" How much and what kind of debris/fouling/etc/ do these caps produce? Firing in some revolvers will be different than others. Sidelock percussion guns ought to digest these easily.

THANK YOU !!

Great work! Question or two - "Are these hard plastic or flexible ?" How much and what kind of debris/fouling/etc/ do these caps produce? Firing in some revolvers will be different than others. Sidelock percussion guns ought to digest these easily.

THANK YOU !!
They are hard plastic and seem to break the same way that regular caps do when struck. So far I've had 100% ignition.

Latest posts

Back