• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Solved the percussion cap issue.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clearly there is significant interest in a die that can produce a cap which closely resembles the factory made #11 and #10's.
One that can be used in a reloading press would be my preference.
Actually, kinda hard to believe such a thing is not already available.

There's a member here that had one of these and was making his own caps and posted a thread about it , but he turned out to be somebody I don't want to be associated with, so I've ignored the thread he put up and I'm looking for some other source or person that can help me make my own caps
Screenshot_20240227-102625~2.png

I guess I could. Never thought of it until now. I'm going to make an improved design tomorrow and I'll see how long it takes so I can determine a reasonable price.
I’m 100% in for one as well, hopefully a #11. Regardless of how much you end up having to charge for selling these, clearly far more valuable than what is commercially available. Incredible work.

I think you could sell a boat load of your die set. I am in for N0. 11 set when made. Main reason I dont make my own caps is because 1) I have 2000 on hand. 2) the caps I see being homemade look like they will fall off easily. The main reason I seldom shoot my percussion stuff is 1) I maintain 2000 caps on hand. 2) I refuse to pay $12.97 at Dunhams when they are in stock.

Sounds like you've got quite a customer base already! :)

But I'm going to wait for your drawings, and hopefully a write-up of the nitty gritty details, hardening, tempering, etc.

Like many others here, I'm tired of being gouged for percussion caps and I've really gotten into the hobby with my new 1858 Remington and the NAA super companion cap and ball. The NAA actually works well with the red ring caps like you'd use on a child's cap gun but I had one go off as I was seating it.

So I started looking into making my own. I quickly found the prime all recipe and decided to go with that, although it's technically the FH42 compound. Then I started looking into what to use for cups. That tap o cap thing doesn't fulfill my ocd desires with the way they look so I decided to go the route of making my own die to punch and form them.

So in comes my three piece die that punches out the circle and then forms them around the die, leaving me with a perfect number 10 cup to be filled with my compound. It's hardened and tempered so it'll last.View attachment 298346View attachment 298347View attachment 298348View attachment 298349
Please put me on the waitlist for a #11 when ya got em.

There's a member here that had one of these and was making his own caps and posted a thread about it , but he turned out to be somebody I don't want to be associated with, so I've ignored the thread he put up and I'm looking for some other source or person that can help me make my own capsView attachment 298895
The site shown can NOT be found
Have a large day

Like many others here, I'm tired of being gouged for percussion caps and I've really gotten into the hobby with my new 1858 Remington and the NAA super companion cap and ball. The NAA actually works well with the red ring caps like you'd use on a child's cap gun but I had one go off as I was seating it.

So I started looking into making my own. I quickly found the prime all recipe and decided to go with that, although it's technically the FH42 compound. Then I started looking into what to use for cups. That tap o cap thing doesn't fulfill my ocd desires with the way they look so I decided to go the route of making my own die to punch and form them.

So in comes my three piece die that punches out the circle and then forms them around the die, leaving me with a perfect number 10 cup to be filled with my compound. It's hardened and tempered so it'll last.View attachment 298346View attachment 298347View attachment 298348View attachment 298349
I’d be interested in a #10.

Latest posts

Back