• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How do you prime?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For hunting I've been using a small plunger flask that I can hang from the horn strap. Either 4F or null B.

1711891597816.jpeg

I most often use a brass tube with a spring-loaded tip that I made to be longer than the ones available from the usual sources. The other one here I made from an old horn tip handle I found for $3 at a junk shop because it matches my powder horn color and markings. IMG_3658.JPG

Since we seem to have less humidity up north , I have used a dohickey installed on a goat horn. Main reason I like it is with a horn , I pour powder all over the gun , and it ruins the moisture proof tightness of the pan frizzen fit. I'm also the guy that accidentally pours gasoline all over the lawnmower trying to get some in the tank.

VAN.............Really like the small dohickey head priming horn of yours. I go to a horner's show , and look for the most misshapen small dwarfy , ugly bits of horn . To my jaded eye , these are prize flint primers begging for a dohickey tip on them.

I'll use one of four small tools and 4F for priming. I have used 3F and used it with complete satisfaction although it doesn't work in any of the tools.

DSC00506.jpg

I have a few of those brass primer doohickeys but they get stuck due to the humidity so I don't use them much any more. After reading the recent article in Muzzleblasts about those accidentally exploding I think I'll take the suggestion and use a little plastic bottle with a flip open spout. I just need to find one.
Priming while using paper cartridges is the best. Bite the end off, put some in the pan and pour the rest down the barrel. Works great when shooting the smoothbore anyhow.
I've been using a brass dohickey too. I don't smoke but it never occurred to me that dust on the nozzle could pick up a spark. I've been frustrated with it anyway, it tends to get junked up

Back