• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How do you aim for

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
For your smooth bore shooting shot for squirrel and such. Do you just learn to aim high or low or do you have a front and rear sight? I have mine shooting about 30% of the pattern above poa and 70% below poa.
Thanks

Depends on game kinda and distance situation etc. Moving running flying field woods still.

I don't aim so much at the moving. I use that bead yea when it passes the head I pull... I like to shoulder for under and behind swing threw pull for the head.

If I shoulder in front I have to let the bird pass then pay catch up... if I'm high I block out the target and I have to drop low and behind then swing.

Both my smoothbore guns have front and rear sights. But, even before adding the rear sight to the Fusil des Chase I pointed it the same place off a stationary squirrel as I do when using the sights on either gun.... just off a few inches in front of it's nose. My goal is to try to get the head and neck area with the edge of the pattern.

I'm shooting a fusil. 20 ga.
I mainly just squirrel hunt. Would love to get a turkey with it but my pattern is not a 30 yard bug bird pattern. It is j I g choked but still 30 even o. Squirrel I'm not sure. Still looking for the load it likes.
So call them into less than 30 yards.
Try heavier shot and the Skychief load.
For turkey I load 70/75 grains of 3f or 2f and 1 1/4 ounce #5 shot loaded Skychief style.

So call them into less than 30 yards.
Try heavier shot and the Skychief load.
For turkey I load 70/75 grains of 3f or 2f and 1 1/4 ounce #5 shot loaded Skychief style.
I can't seem to gettm in anymore. Called 2 into about 35 first 3 to4 yrs.Not works anymore.. Have had 2 shot out from under me as they were heading to me.Ive called in a few yokes deer with compound and stick bow. NO turkeys.

I'm shooting a fusil. 20 ga.
I mainly just squirrel hunt. Would love to get a turkey with it but my pattern is not a 30 yard bug bird pattern. It is j I g choked but still 30 even o. Squirrel I'm not sure. Still looking for the load it likes.
I use only original SxSs to turkey hunt with, none of them have chokes so I keep my shot at 20 yds or under. hunting with a muzzleloader will make you a better hunter.

I use only original SxSs to turkey hunt with, none of them have chokes so I keep my shot at 20 yds or under. hunting with a muzzleloader will make you a better hunter.
I do ok on deer and other stuff. I just can't figure where the birds go at different times of day. And all I can do is yelp and purr. Can't get the other sounds to come out right. Not to mention every hunter for 60 mile radius must go where I do.

I do ok on deer and other stuff. I just can't figure where the birds go at different times of day. And all I can do is yelp and purr. Can't get the other sounds to come out right. Not to mention every hunter for 60 mile radius must go where I do.
You sound like your on the track.

Other hunters. Usually the same places if you try calling from further in the woods birds can respond better. Everyone hunting and scouting teaches these birds to much lol most people hunt easy and pretty calling from the fields and trail those birds learn... after opening day.. it's woods edge of some swamp or other side of a hill that no one makes it up.

Calling .... videos. Try different types of calls.. but just yelp alone works good.. just reel them in call softer as they get closer then just stop calling when they ring your ear drums closer.

If they don't gobble but they're there somewhere..

Just pretend they answered you and are getting closer. Then stop and wait it out... try it again... wait.. move location try again...

They do go silent and they do still come in.

most people over call, just a few calls will interest a turkey, more makes them nervous.

I use mostly a 12 gauge and shoot birds - I'm not a squirrel hunter so take what I am going to say with a grain of salt. I like my pattern to be 60 to 70 percent above my point of aim which is at the bottom of the bird as the bird is mostly flying up from the ground. ;)

I use mostly a 12 gauge and shoot birds - I'm not a squirrel hunter so take what I am going to say with a grain of salt. I like my pattern to be 60 to 70 percent above my point of aim which is at the bottom of the bird as the bird is mostly flying up from the ground. ;)
Thankyou. For some reason I think I've read about the above percentage. Thanks

Back