• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How did American forces reload in battle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In this post you state that cartridges were not developed until the 1700's. I beg to differ. (I assume you mean paper cartridges.) The Matchlock musket came about around 1475, or so. Very shortly after that the Musketeers were using speed loaders and paper cartridges.
Bandoliers of wooden bottles with a pulvern or priming horn and a ball bag were used generally in the early 17th Century.

I will add this; I was in the military, spent many years in the corporate world, and a few years in academia. I have seen many official reports and records. They were not always 100% accurate or inclusive.

I retired as a staff officer, we use to say "why write a 2 page report when you can stretch it out to 80 pages"

Here is an 18th century first person narrative that in the heat of battle with the indians at the Ohio Big Bottom massacre, the settler used his hand to measure the powder.
Ohio Rusty ><>
View attachment 268052
And Lewis Wetzel practiced loading on the run. His rifle was supposed to have had an oversized touch hole and was self priming, so he poured powder in to the muzzle from the powderhorn, spit a ball from his mouth in to the bore and seated it with a slap, and fired at his pursuer.

And Lewis Wetzel practiced loading on the run. His rifle was supposed to have had an oversized touch hole and was self priming, so he poured powder in to the muzzle from the powderhorn, spit a ball from his mouth in to the bore and seated it with a slap, and fired at his pursuer.

As Colonel Sherman T. Potter said - "Horse-hockey!"

As Colonel Sherman T. Potter said - "Horse-hockey!"
I've never read old Lew had an oversized touch hole, maybe on some of his rifles. Judge Jolly said he reloaded on the run with a ball one size smaller than usually used. Another contemporary of his a few years younger said when loading on the run Lew always stopped to prime.

Anyone know what time frame when the European militaries started going from having a bandolier of pre-measured charges to having paper cartridges?

Latest posts

Back