• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pedersoli An IX chronograph fun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sort of a surprise that more people didn't find this interesting (My interests are strange). Guess these military smoothbore flintlocks don't draw the same attention as their rifled counterparts.

Accuracy with the 70gr load was about 3-4" at 10 yards and when the gun is clean, it shoots pretty close to point of aim when you use the sight lined up with the breech. With the 80gr load, or when the barrel started getting heavily fouled, the guns POI shifted to the right a fair bit. I'll stick with the 70gr load and make up some 80gr cartridges for the next shoot (70gr for the ball and 10gr for the pan). To avoid the POI shift, I will try cleaning the barrel with a wet patch every 5 shots.

The flintlock smoothbore military pistols don’t get much love here.

I personally think they’re so cool. I spoke earlier about buying a Pedersoli Gendarmerie recently and shot it yesterday:

44824D85-4181-41F9-A372-E8E75C8729A7.jpeg

It’s an amazing weapon. People will see these types of guns and say “nice dueling pistol” or even “nice pirate pistol” but in fact these were meant for warfare. This model in particular was carried by the military police forces as their standard service sidearm as well as by officers in Napoleon’s army. That’s pretty cool.

@Smokey Plainsman very cool, love these big French pistols!

I like that multi-tool, mind sharing where you got it?

Patched balls are good for accuracy but you should develop a cartridge for the gun like they would have used originally. Cartridges are great fun and they help less patient shooters have more fun. I use a .65" ball over 80gr of 1F in my cartridge and for paper I just use junk mail magazines that show up whether I want them or not. I prime with the cartridge, so it ends up being about 70gr under the 65 caliber ball. This isn't as accurate but tends to be a lot more fun for plinking. Do keep in mind that when using a smaller diameter ball (in my case a .65" in a .685" bore) you need more powder to get decent performance. I use 65gr under a patched .676" ball for around 580fps and 70gr under a bare .65" ball for 500fps.

Back