• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How fast can BP revolvers be reloaded?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By making a bunch paper cartridges for my C&B revolvers on a TV tray prior to heading to the range & using the Polish capper I bought about 3 years ago
I can reload my Remington & Colt revolvers almost as fast as a loading a cartridge revolver or semi autos clip.
The thought of being assulted by horney chickens is pretty scary, maybe i'll pack a couple extra loaded cylinders 🤣

My bad
Many friends & strangers I've shot with at ranges only shoot their C&B revolvers occasionally & often lack the practice & gear to load efficiently.
Having 60+ years of enjoyment shooting & competing with C&B revolvers & having the proper gear to expedite the loading of paper cartridges & capping I probably shouldn't have stated that loading was almost as fast as loading a cartridge revolver or clip of my semi-auto as I don't use speed loaders at the range with my unmentionables.
Packing unmentionables' has served me well in discouraging perps.

The fastest reload for any kind of single action revolver is a second revolver. This becomes rather obvious with cap and ball revolvers. I do have extra cylinders for my 58 remis but even those are not really a fast reload.
And from sand bags will often have differing points of impact with spare gun or cylinder in the same gun !

yes. revolvers are like that. especially with different cylinders.. didn't seem to hamper Clint...

The fastest reload for any kind of single action revolver is a second revolver. This becomes rather obvious with cap and ball revolvers. I do have extra cylinders for my 58 remis but even those are not really a fast reload.
Yup, sure is. Called the Tennessee reload. Some cavalrymen in WWCivil, carried up to 6 revolvers.

I’ve often wondered how fast 19th century black powder revolvers could successfully be reloaded in the civil war or confronting desperadoes given the stress of a situation. Excluding possibly having an extra loaded cylinder acting like a modern day speed loader or having several loaded revolvers, I’m curious just how fast a BP revolver can be quickly loaded using paper cartridges and a capper? I’ve never read any 19th century literature for the civil war or armed confrontations mentioning how quick a BP revolver can be reloaded. Has anyone read or even timed how fast a BP revolver can be loaded without fumbling the paper cartridges, dropping caps on the ground, etc. and all the rounds in the cylinder fire successfully without a mishap? :rolleyes:
I don’t think they reloaded during a fight, much. Some carried an extra revolver or two, but not spare loaded cylinders.
In a fight, a guy may choose to only reload 2 or 3 chambers to get by with for a few more seconds or minutes, and the gun is not out of action for as long.
I suspect most skirmishes or other confrontations ended rather quickly by making 5 or 6 shots count as few would want to have to reload under pressure.

This is a great topic that I have thought/wondered about.

Cylinder swapping does seem more 20th-century - dealing with the added wedge on my 1851 Navy for a cylinder swap is just asking for trouble and dropping something. The 1858 certainly lends itself way better for swapping out. I can see this being done "fairly" quickly.

Reloading a different story. Paper cartridges would rule the day here over flask powder and balls. Quick capping with a capper too. The 1851 out is easier to access the nipples. The 1858 is harder to get to unless you perform the cylinder hack of milling some of the area around the nipple on the cylinder.

I love this site! Lots of great questions and info!
I have read there are no records of Remington or Colt ever shipping single cylinders to customers, or extra cylinders being shipped with a gun.
I suppose sometime, somewhere, someone scavenged a cylinder from another gun that was otherwise damaged for some reason, and used it as a loaded extra, but there seems to be no written or anecdotal evidence to support the practice.
But I could be mistaken ( A little).

I haven't read all the replies... so this might have been said.
But do y'all remember the History Channel's Hatfield and McCoys?
Remember when Kevin Costner (Devil Anse Hatfield) gathered up everyone's revolvers in a sack and went out for a little night time warfare?
He and Josey Wales had it right. The fastest reload was another gun.
Probably more in line with the truth than The Preacher in Pale Rider. Well, aside from all those common soldiers having handguns they could donate to Hatfield's cause.

But some of those youtubers can really swap out cylinders on their 1858's in a hurry. But it's not like they are capped.

Not trying to be funny ,,but trying to load a cap and ball revolver fast is harder than kissing a chicken on the lips.
I have been shooting cap and balls for close to 50 years and never attempted to load one fast or had the need to load one fast.
But if I needed more than 6 rounds ,,I would do what the rebs did during the Civil War ,,I would carry another revolver ,,and another and another and maybe a couple more revolvers on my saddle!
I have more faith in cap and ball revolvers than most people. I have never had one fail to go off when I needed it to, I have complete confidence in my ability to load and fire as any modern pistol. I have even used one as a a back up in bear hunting and I never felt at a disadvantage. Of course a shot from a .58cal Minnie rifle musket first evened the odds.

I cant imaging you have to do much clean up after 570g minnie ball....
I have good faith in my 58 remi as long as the cylinder has not been loaded more than a week. the humidity we have here in the NE messes with black powder and the substitutes.. My 58s are more reliable ignition than my side locks. I attribute that to two factors.#1, I leave them capped. I do not leave the side hammer single shots capped unless I am in the field. #2 The revolvers are in lines so have better ignition than side hammers. My go to gun for home defense is a steel frame 8" 1858 I shoot it dry, clean and reload at least once a week. I do have more modern stuff in the safe but don't feel undergunned with the 58. If the poop hits the ventilator and we go WROL I will open the safe and up gun but for now I get a warm fuzzy feeling from a 58.

I have more faith in cap and ball revolvers than most people. I have never had one fail to go off when I needed it to, I have complete confidence in my ability to load and fire as any modern pistol. I have even used one as a a back up in bear hunting and I never felt at a disadvantage. Of course a shot from a .58cal Minnie rifle musket first evened the odds.
This is not something I would advise. Not for any flavor bear in North America. BP just cannot generate the velocities I'd be comfortable with. Smallest backup I'll advise is 454 Casul, but I'd rather have another feller with 12ga slugs.
Anyone ever heard of the formula to calculate foot-pound energy?
E (energy)= M (mass in gr) X (V)^2 (velocity in fps, squared) / 450395 (this is a constant, and I have forgotten the reason.)
From the formula it is clear that the velocity is the variable that alters the result most dramatically. Even a Walker or a Dragoon is too light IMHO, and you'll run the risk of decorating that bear's territory in the coming weeks and days.

I have read there are no records of Remington or Colt ever shipping single cylinders to customers, or extra cylinders being shipped with a gun.
I suppose sometime, somewhere, someone scavenged a cylinder from another gun that was otherwise damaged for some reason, and used it as a loaded extra, but there seems to be no written or anecdotal evidence to support the practice.
But I could be mistaken ( A little).
Yes, I think you have a point. On the Colts, the most expensive part would most likely have been the cylinder due to the anti-patent scrollwork engraved on it. I have no doubt that there were presentation models made in fancy compartmented display cases that contained a spare, but historically the majority of those went to people in the War Department. Yes. Greasing wheels have a longer and richer history than BP.

EDIT:
I just remembered that when Col's Walker and Colt come up with the 1847, they wanted more firepower and the initial plan was to issue 2 revolvers to each man. Why 2 revolvers instead of 1 with spare cylinders? Of course the issuance of these revolvers was done with a Ukraine-amount of oversight. We just never learn...

Last edited:
those ultra mags are silly. Never seen anyone get good shot placement with them due to fear. shot placement is everything. penetration is also important. I know a guy who killed a bar with a .40s&w Guy I worked with in Wyoming killed a brown bear in AK with .41 mag. penetration and shot placement is everything. big boom is nothing. that being said a cap and ball revolver is likly a bit light for bear due to not too impressive penetration.

Last edited:
My take.. I know this a revolver site.. but as Quiqley said about revolvers “I never had much use for one”. Most carried rifles and by far far far most carried a shotgun.
Hollywood was high noon gunfights or Eastwood swapping cylinders. Fact is/was rifles and shotguns ruled the day back them days.
And believe this, if we meeting at high noon on main street. My 45-70 Winchester with 17 loads is going to end this argument way quicker than your 5 shot (1 empty for safe carry) than your handgun. Every time.

Last edited:
Those high noon, in the middle of the street, so beloved by tv and movies, did happen. Back in the day, if you weren't cheating, you weren't trying!!

Those high noon, in the middle of the street, so beloved by tv and movies, did happen. Back in the day, if you weren't cheating, you weren't trying!!
Remember Liberty Valance movie. Wayne flat out murdered Liberty with a rifle from the shadows. Liberty never knew what hit him. Thats how it was really done back then.

I’ve often wondered how fast 19th century black powder revolvers could successfully be reloaded in the civil war or confronting desperadoes given the stress of a situation. Excluding possibly having an extra loaded cylinder acting like a modern day speed loader or having several loaded revolvers, I’m curious just how fast a BP revolver can be quickly loaded using paper cartridges and a capper? I’ve never read any 19th century literature for the civil war or armed confrontations mentioning how quick a BP revolver can be reloaded. Has anyone read or even timed how fast a BP revolver can be loaded without fumbling the paper cartridges, dropping caps on the ground, etc. and all the rounds in the cylinder fire successfully without a mishap? :rolleyes:
You need to bring an hour glass or egg timer to figure this one out! Try re-loading on horseback! I believe multiple pistols were used commonly, too. And, did they even HAVE cappers back in the day? Or are cappers a modern convenience?

Remember Liberty Valance movie. Wayne flat out murdered Liberty with a rifle from the shadows. Liberty never knew what hit him. Thats how it was really done back then.
Every feud and range war was long on ambush and raid and short on fast-draw artists. The fast-draw at High Noon is merely a Hollyweird extension of the Penny Dreadfuls. The good guy out-drawing the BG, but only winging him, then getting saved by the cry of the Gentle Maiden as he turns his back (idiot) when the deceitful BG draws a Derringer from his sleeve... Entertaining, but everyone older that 8 knows it's ca-ca del toro.

My take.. I know this a revolver site.. but as Quiqley said about revolvers “I never had much use for one”. Most carried rifles and by far far far most carried a shotgun.
Hollywood was high noon gunfights or Eastwood swapping cylinders. Fact is/was rifles and shotguns ruled the day back them days.
And believe this, if we meeting at high noon on main street. My 45-70 Winchester with 17 loads is going to end this argument way quicker than your 5 shot (1 empty for safe carry) than your handgun. Every time.
Toally agree long guns ruled the day, 44 Henry held 17 rds. A 45-70 mod 76 will only hold about 5 .. for 17 rds of 45-70 would need a mag about 5 1/2 feet long without room for the spring. Best stick to the 73 or Henry they'er pistol cals......Be Safe>>>>>>>>>Wally

Toally agree long guns ruled the day, 44 Henry held 17 rds. A 45-70 mod 76 will only hold about 5 .. for 17 rds of 45-70 would need a mag about 5 1/2 feet long without room for the spring. Best stick to the 73 or Henry they'er pistol cals......Be Safe>>>>>>>>>Wally

Attachments

• IMG_0989.gif
    IMG_0989.gif
    694.6 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back