• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How fast can BP revolvers be reloaded?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 33697

40 Cal
Reaction score
I’ve often wondered how fast 19th century black powder revolvers could successfully be reloaded in the civil war or confronting desperadoes given the stress of a situation. Excluding possibly having an extra loaded cylinder acting like a modern day speed loader or having several loaded revolvers, I’m curious just how fast a BP revolver can be quickly loaded using paper cartridges and a capper? I’ve never read any 19th century literature for the civil war or armed confrontations mentioning how quick a BP revolver can be reloaded. Has anyone read or even timed how fast a BP revolver can be loaded without fumbling the paper cartridges, dropping caps on the ground, etc. and all the rounds in the cylinder fire successfully without a mishap? :rolleyes:

Pour and twist cylinder to fill all chambers near the top then ram a ball, cap n go. Never though about it but what maybe 90 seconds in a semi calm state. While being shot at maybe not, maybe 5 minutes and get a few shots off outta the attempt? We all handle stress differently (thus the civil war muskets found with 6-7charges and bullets loaded on top of one another). I never used a paper cartgridge so no comment there.

Once they got down to pistol range the goal was to close and use edged weapons.
That what I was told as kid anyways.
Elmer Kieth I believe was the one I read this from as he actually grew up with real life civil war cavalry veterans that told him first hand that they often carried multiple revolvers and would shoot them dry, stow them, cut their way clear with sabers and gallop out of range to reload , reform and charge again if needed.

Last edited:
I’ve often wondered how fast 19th century black powder revolvers could successfully be reloaded in the civil war or confronting desperadoes given the stress of a situation. Excluding possibly having an extra loaded cylinder acting like a modern day speed loader or having several loaded revolvers, I’m curious just how fast a BP revolver can be quickly loaded using paper cartridges and a capper? I’ve never read any 19th century literature for the civil war or armed confrontations mentioning how quick a BP revolver can be reloaded. Has anyone read or even timed how fast a BP revolver can be loaded without fumbling the paper cartridges, dropping caps on the ground, etc. and all the rounds in the cylinder fire successfully without a mishap? :rolleyes:
Reloading a percussion revolver is slow enough from a bench with every thing laid out in order before you but in the heat of battle loading from your pouch on your feet would be a real chore and all but impossible from the back of a moving horse.

Takes me about 10 minutes. :)
Even with pre-made carts it will take a couple of minutes. Add in an advancing column of soldiers coming your direction, ducking behind a log and trying to watch your six, with occasional bullets going over head...?!?
I suspect the answer to this is 'screw that, draw sabers and prepare for melee'.

Elmer Kieth I believe was the one I read this from as he actually grew up with real life civil war cavalry veterans that told him first hand that they often carried multiple revolvers and would shoot them dry, stow them, cut their way clear with sabers and gallop out of range to reload , reform and charge again if needed.
That makes a lot of sense and best tactic to do. That begs another question. Were there possibly leather holsters sewn on each side of a saddle aside from any holsters worn on a belt or a shoulder holster?

Historically, I doubt much, if any revolver reloading went on during an actual battle. Now as soon as there was a lull in the fighting, yes. You could load and fire your musket with less delay than having to stop and reload a cap and ball revolver. Cavalry carried a couple of revolvers, a sword, and maybe a rifle or carbine.

Historically, I doubt much, if any revolver reloading went on during an actual battle. Now as soon as there was a lull in the fighting, yes. You could load and fire your musket with less delay than having to stop and reload a cap and ball revolver. Cavalry carried a couple of revolvers, a sword, and maybe a rifle or carbine.
That’s the truth. We picture sides trading lead for some time. In reality there was a sharp short fight. Actual fire vs fire would only be a few minutes.
Officers had them, and then only used in last critical minutes.
Cavalry had them. But got in fast shot then broke
If artillery had to pull them it was a bad day for red stripes.

I load mine in about 90 to 100 seconds, using a spout on my flask and loose round balls. That is if I don't grease the load, or ram a patch thru the barrel between cylinders, which is my usual procedure. A capper of some sort is a necessity for fast reloading. If bullets were buzzing around, and guys on horses were swinging sabres at me, it would take a lot longer.

When I was in college 40+ years ago, I read a supposedly first hand account of a calvary soldier's reloading process. It was a rare case when they reloaded (except to draw a second revolver) in the midst of battle, and when this fella did, he stated they "poured a canteen of water" on the gun to allow it to rotate for reloading. The trooper who said this was using a Remington, as best as I can determine from the description. Don't ask for a citation, as I have forgotten a lot of things in over 4 decades since then, and this account was from an obscure book in a large university library.

I'm a rookie c&b shooter, and I dry balled once already on a calm sunny 70 degree day. I do think back to training in my past, "smooth is fast". But there wasn't grape shot peppering the deck around me. Cant comment on the paper cartridges, the rabbit hole hasn't taken me there yet.

Multiple pistols. Not multiple cylinders. How many spare wedges do you want to carry?
Sabres are primarily slashing/bludgeoning weapons and best used from a saddle.
I have seen Civil War Bowie type knives that are like small cutlasses. They may have been the soldiers' answer to reloading a revolver.

FYI,
Paul Harrell has a video on YouTube about this very topic for self-defense.

The ROA has a heavy barrel and the 1862 Colt though lighter is also heavy enough like the single shot pistol grip cap and can be very effective at very close range when empty for backup through proper placement.

OWN

Latest posts

Back