• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Paper shot cartridge tutorial

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I tried lots of different methods and materials and load columns, shot cups, made special sized wad and card punches, patterned them all, and finally came up with this method which is a combination of borrowed ideas that finally solved all of the problems I was having making and loading shot cartridges. A couple of people asked me to share so here goes.

Here's all the stuff. For paper I use a 9"-wide roll of painter's masking paper that's less than five bucks at the paint store. These are 24-gauge and a 3.5" wide strip makes two wraps. I cut a bunch of 3.5x9" strips and then cut them in half. Then I cut 1.25x2.5" rectangles for the wad.

20230822_214735.jpg

Start with the forming mandrel. I like them about. 040" or so smaller than the bore diameter. I build up masking tape on a wood dowel to make up the sizes I need because I'm too lazy to do it on a lathe and too cheap to use good metal round bar. I put kid's glue stick on the far edge and roll the paper up tightly, leaving the paper overhanging the mandrel slightly (just over half the mandrel diameter).

20230822_212559.jpg

Next I fold the end:

20230822_212704.jpg

Then I apply stick glue with my fingertip to the folded down part and the whole inside of the remaining overlap and fold the other side:

20230822_212804.jpg

Then more glue on the flaps and fold those in and smush it all down tight against the end of the mandrel. This leaves four little corners which load easily but hold the cartridge in the barrel after it is rammed home.

20230822_212854.jpg

Then pull the formed tube off of the mandrel and turn it over. Measure and dump in shot through a funnel, then sift in an equal measure of cornmeal and tap lightly to settle it.

Next, the wad that separates the corn meal from the black powder. Take one of the small rectangular strips and fold it in half to make a square, then fold that over a mandrel slightly smaller than the forming mandrel and hold it with thumb and forefinger, then fold and pinch the other sides 90⁰ away with your other thumb and forefinger to make a truncated pyramid. Crease the four corners to make something like rocket fins and then fold the fins around the mandrel all the same direction (I go clockwise, but it doesn't matter):

20230822_212328.jpg

Wind it tightly and pull it off the mandrel, then "screw" it into the paper cartridge twisting opposite the way you folded the wings so it doesn't jam up in the paper tube.

20230822_212417.jpg

Once you get the wad started, push it down with the same undersized mandrel you formed it with and smush it firmly against the corn meal. The wad will halfway turn inside out and will lock firmly into the tube so the shot and buffer won't fall out. You obviously don't want the buffer and shot to fall down the barrel loose after the powder when you are loading.

20230822_212511.jpg

Then in goes the powder, I generally use a volume of shot and corn meal equal to the black powder, or a "triple-square" load. In this case for 24-gauge 50 grains of FFFg. Funnel in the powder and fold the tail like normal, i.e. how the British did it.

To load, tear off the tail and funnel the powder down the barrel, being careful not to crush the area where your wad is so the cornmeal and shot don't leak out. I like to put a couple spritzes of water-based lube like moose milk or Dawn/water down the barrel and on the remains of the cartridge tail at this stage, using an atomizing pump sprayer. Then crumple/twist/fold the tail and poke it down the barrel tail first, shot end up. Press it home firmly with the rammer with a card-ramming tip on it, prime the pan with a priming horn or cap the nipple, and you're ready to shoot.

As always, beware smolderimg paper or powder embers in the barrel when reloading, so don't put your face over the muzzle or your palm over the end of the rammer, and beware grass fires as singed paper goes downrange with every shot. Nice thing about these all-paper cartridges is there is no string, felt, or hard cards to litter the range or field.

Another big disclaimer: I wouldn't try these in double guns unless adding a tight nitro card over the powder and an overshot card over the shot, or some other sure method to hold the column in place. I don't think retention under recoil is sufficient with the paper cartridge as I have described and the second barrel may develop a potentially dangerous air gap after the first barrel is fired.

I keep meaning to try lubing the outside of the paper tube just in the shot/buffer area (so's to not contaminate the powder) with mink oil or dip in melted beeswax/fat to help soften fouling and make the paper less easy to ignite, but haven't done it yet.

The cormeal does magic to patterns from a cylinder bore; if you haven't yet, you really should have a go with it. .

Last edited:
What prevents it from shooting like a slug?
It seems like a pretty stout build.

Good tutorial.
I was kicking around doing something similar, but using that tissue paper that comes in gift boxes. Something I can tamp and it will probably tear. Then using an overshot card.

I don't know the # of the masking paper I use for making paper cartridges, but it's what I would call stout. You don't have to baby it.
I'll have to give it a try and see how it does carrying shot.

I was going to try the tissue in hopes I could drop the whole thing down the barrel, powder and all. And then a cap should be able to spark right through it the same as cigarette paper cartridges.

I tried lots of different methods and materials and load columns, shot cups, made special sized wad and card punches, patterned them all, and finally came up with this method which is a combination of borrowed ideas that finally solved all of the problems I was having making and loading shot cartridges. A couple of people asked me to share so here goes.

Here's all the stuff. For paper I use a 9"-wide roll of painter's masking paper that's less than five bucks at the paint store. These are 24-gauge and a 3.5" wide strip makes two wraps. I cut a bunch of 3.5x9" strips and then cut them in half. Then I cut 1.25x2.5" rectangles for the wad.

View attachment 247248

Start with the forming mandrel. I like them about. 040" or so smaller than the bore diameter. I build up masking tape on a wood dowel to make up the sizes I need because I'm too lazy to do it on a lathe and too cheap to use good metal round bar. I put kid's glue stick on the far edge and roll the paper up tightly, leaving the paper overhanging the mandrel slightly (just over half the mandrel diameter).

View attachment 247249

Next I fold the end:

View attachment 247250

Then I apply stick glue with my fingertip to the folded down part and the whole inside of the remaining overlap and fold the other side:

View attachment 247251

Then more glue on the flaps and fold those in and smush it all down tight against the end of the mandrel. This leaves four little corners which load easily but hold the cartridge in the barrel after it is rammed home.

View attachment 247252

Then pull the formed tube off of the mandrel and turn it over. Measure and dump in shot through a funnel, then sift in an equal measure of cornmeal and tap lightly to settle it.

Next, the wad that separates the corn meal from the black powder. Take one of the small rectangular strips and fold it in half to make a square, then fold that over a mandrel slightly smaller than the forming mandrel and hold it with thumb and forefinger, then fold and pinch the other sides 90⁰ away with your other thumb and forefinger to make a truncated pyramid. Crease the four corners to make something like rocket fins and then fold the fins around the mandrel all the same direction (I go clockwise, but it doesn't matter):

View attachment 247253

Wind it tightly and pull it off the mandrel, then "screw" it into the paper cartridge twisting opposite the way you folded the wings so it doesn't jam up in the paper tube.

View attachment 247254

Once you get the wad started, push it down with the same undersized mandrel you formed it with and smush it firmly against the corn meal. The wad will halfway turn inside out and will lock firmly into the tube so the shot and buffer won't fall out. You obviously don't want the buffer and shot to fall down the barrel loose after the powder when you are loading.

View attachment 247255

Then in goes the powder, I generally use a volume of shot and corn meal equal to the black powder, or a "triple-square" load. In this case for 24-gauge 50 grains of FFFg. Funnel in the powder and fold the tail like normal, i.e. how the British did it.

To load, tear off the tail and funnel the powder down the barrel, being careful not to crush the area where your wad is so the cornmeal and shot don't leak out. I like to put a couple spritzes of water-based lube like moose milk or Dawn/water down the barrel and on the remains of the cartridge tail at this stage, using an atomizing pump sprayer. Then crumple/twist/fold the tail and poke it down the barrel tail first, shot end up. Press it home firmly with the rammer with a card-ramming tip on it, prime the pan with a priming horn or cap the nipple, and you're ready to shoot.

As always, beware smolderimg paper or powder embers in the barrel when reloading, so don't put your face over the muzzle or your palm over the end of the rammer, and beware grass fires as singed paper goes downrange with every shot. Nice thing about these all-paper cartridges is there is no string, felt, or hard cards to litter the range or field.

Another big disclaimer: I wouldn't try these in double guns unless adding a tight nitro card over the powder and an overshot card over the shot, or some other sure method to hold the column in place. I don't think retention under recoil is sufficient with the paper cartridge as I have described and the second barrel may develop a potentially dangerous air gap after the first barrel is fired.

I keep meaning to try lubing the outside of the paper tube just in the shot/buffer area (so's to not contaminate the powder) with mink oil or dip in melted beeswax/fat to help soften fouling and make the paper less easy to ignite, but haven't done it yet.

The cormeal does magic to patterns from a cylinder bore; if you haven't yet, you really should have a go with it. .
Ian is this the procedure you used in your post of your24gauge where you showed your shot pattern.

Good timing with this thread. I'm playing around with it today in the basement. I'm not happy with cigarette paper. Too flimsy and hard to work with. You're getting consistent ignition using the heavier paper? I think that's what I need to go with.

Good timing with this thread. I'm playing around with it today in the basement. I'm not happy with cigarette paper. Too flimsy and hard to work with. You're getting consistent ignition using the heavier paper? I think that's what I need to go with.

I am not igniting through the paper. My method of loading is described in the last part of my original post.

I am not igniting through the paper. My method of loading is described in the last part of my original post.
OK, thanks, I misunderstood which I realized when I came back to study the post when I had more time, and discovered it wasn't what I thought it was. My bad.

I started experimenting with paper cartridges last year for my old Navy Arms 12ga caplock double. I've got a workable process, but like anything else, it could be better. I haven't really settled on any certain paper, but like newspaper and thin paper sacks so far. Fast food ones work if clean. I've been thinking about nitrating the paper like for cap and ball revolver cartridges. I like to make use of stuff that would otherwise get thrown away.

We're pretty close in process until after the shot is added. I just glue the outside of the tube, then twist it tight to keep the shot and powder separate. After adding the powder, I twist the open end of the tube then fold the tail over and glue it to the tube to seal it off.

When loading, I use a small pair of pocket scissors to cut the tail open and then dump the powder down the barrel. The tail and powder part are used for over powder wadding. I then cut open the twisted shot part of the cartridge and using what's left of the cartridge as a paper shot cup, that gets rammed into place on top the paper overpowder wadding. I have a die for 12 ga cartridge wads that are a nice fit in my barrels and fit in a cartridge reloading press. I use those made from about 3/16 to 1/4 inch thick corrogated cardboard.

It's still a work in progress like most everything in life.

I messed with shot cartridges years ago for hunting. I never got consistent results. One time I'd get a perfect pattern and next time it would throw a sandbag.
After that one experiment period I just carry a handful of cards and wads in my hunting vest along with a smallish pair of powder and shot flasks in the other pocket. Quick and easy.

That's worked for a zillion years and still works. I prefer cartridges, especially since I got a process worked out that functions well and does give consistent patterns. I can shoot, load and shoot two more in under a minute which is really handy with a single-barrel during that magic few minutes when the birds are coming in hot, thick, and close to roost. Plus I would only have to carry cartridges, a bird bag, spritz bottle, and a small priming horn. That's the plan, anyway, I haven't been dove hunting with a muzzleloader yet but did for many years with a single-shot 16 and .410.

The paper cartridges without card wads function so there is no swabbing required for at least ten shots and can often be forced a few more. The cartridge rams home fully in a very fouled barrel because it conforms to the restrictions. Spritz bottle dampening the bore helps the gunk be pushed down all the way to the powder column too, but can be foregone entirely for quite a few rounds. The cornmeal makes a conforming, flexible gas seal and cushion wad which also makes patterns consistent as fouling accumulates.

View attachment 247248

View attachment 247249

Next I fold the end:

View attachment 247250

View attachment 247251

View attachment 247252

View attachment 247253

View attachment 247254

View attachment 247255

Think this would work with a rifled gun?

Id waist a dollar bill on turkey load... I think it's a better paper. Probably be able to find and re use it.

Fold and Form it in the muzzle like a cup or origami a cup.. fill it card it push down. it's going to strip away fast I think. Probably better than a plastic cup.

If it's just being used to protect the bore?

Last edited:
Back