• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

You might be a redneck....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thread title reminds me of a LOT of song lyrics. Dwight Yoakum comes to mind first.
Daddy had old tires to sale. For a dollar or two. Cash.
Redneck qualifying question one: Sofa on the porch or in the yard? Question two: Is there a car in the yard that will get you to the 7-11 AND back again?
In the early 1950's I was a child among rednecks, but rednecks were different then. I felt very comfortable, appreciated, and loved.

David
The thread title reminds me of a LOT of song lyrics. Dwight Yoakum comes to mind first.
Daddy had old tires to sale. For a dollar or two. Cash.
Redneck qualifying question one: Sofa on the porch or in the yard? Question two: Is there a car in the yard that will get you to the 7-11 AND back again?
In the early 1950's I was a child among rednecks, but rednecks were different then. I felt very comfortable, appreciated, and loved.
David Allen Coe ... Love that song ...

T
Yeah, I was 14 when I got my 45 CVA, and dirt Poor. I used 30-06 shells for carrying powder, and duct tape for lids. Patches and balls in my pocket, caps didn't rattle bad in your back Wrangler pocket.
I walked about 2 miles to hunt deer, the tape came off several '06 cases. Big mess.
But I soon got it together and killed this big bearded hen. Walked on air for a month.
@Britsmoothy

View attachment 206298
that is great !! Esp. with the back story ....

I needed to go to the farm today and wanted to shoot my new to me 14 bore.

I left my shotgun bag at a friend's, and had no 14 bore wads... but necessity is the Mother of invention.

Ok..I need powder, shot, wads, caps, and measurer.

Lucky I shoot 45-70. I grabbed an empty, 70 grains max loads please! Measurer, Check.

Lucky my first CVA horn was hanging by the door, with 3fffg. Powder, Check.

I was gifted 75 rounds of 16 gauge. Ready to load 1 1/16oz loads? Shot, Check.

Wads? Hmm. How about some paper napkins from Sonic? Check.

Get to the farm, I keep caps EVERYWHERE! Grab a tin from the Dad's old gun rack. Check!

Ok, first pop a few caps, done.

Now powder, I do fill the 45-70 case about 1/2" short of full. About 60-ish grains.

View attachment 206283

Now for over powder wads.
View attachment 206284
Tamp it down good.
Now for shot, I grab a paper JC Higgins 16 gauge shell, size unknown.
Cut the top off, looks like #6. Perfect.

View attachment 206285View attachment 206286View attachment 206287
Ok, shot down the tube. Another Sonic napkin down the chute, Tamp for good measure.

Now for a target. On the side of the house an old Samsonite suitcase sat, way beyond use. Perfect.
Hang it from a tree. Step off 20 paces, aim, fire.

A really tight group, although close range. No holes, about a foot square.
View attachment 206289

Is this how I usually operate? No way, did it work perfectly well? Absolutely.

I reloaded, slung my horn, dropped the tin in my back pocket, 4 shells in my front pocket, the 45-70 and a bunch of napkins in the other. Walked towards my stand and a crow crossed my path, full from eating my corn. The gun went to my shoulder as on hydraulics. The bird fell at the shot.

I recall a while back someone here listed all the new equipment needed to shoot a black powder gun. It ran into the hundreds of dollars.

Maybe this will show you don't NEED an expensive capper, which I use when shooting trap. You don't NEED an adjustable measure, an old cartridge or horn will do.

I NEVER shoot trap without wads, but I would have broke a bird, cause I broke one for real, with some free napkins.

I am always on the hustle for old shotgun shells; I cut them and cannibalize the shot. Today I used cartridges for ease of carrying the shot in the field.

But NEVER THINK you can use ANY SMOKELESS POWDER IN BLACK POWDER ARMS!! I ONLY use the shot, the powder gets dumped in the yard, hulls in a bucket of water, then the trash.

Ok, bring on the criticism.
sounds like you know how to make do with what u have.

No kids of mine had toy guns. Playing shooting at each other at such a young age and then trying to tell them never to point a gun at anyone later on is just messing with their heads! IMO of course.
Got my first gun, a .22 unmentionable, for Christmas at age 6. Kids in our family knew very well that firearms were not toys. Mother's family had farms in SW Virginia hills. Dirt roads, outdoor plumbing, hounds, barns, horses, or tractors, and several long guns propped behind a bedroom door. Squirrel and ground hog were on the table as often as pork and chicken.

Got my first gun, a .22 unmentionable, for Christmas at age 6. Kids in our family knew very well that firearms were not toys. Mother's family had farms in SW Virginia hills. Dirt roads, outdoor plumbing, hounds, barns, horses, or tractors, and several long guns propped behind a bedroom door. Squirrel and ground hog were on the table as often as pork and chicken.
My granddaughter now has a pink (🙄) Crosman and we have fun but is acutely aware of safe gun handling and the sanctity of life, unless it's a rat or crow 😁

Not to offend, but one aspect no one has mentioned due to not wanting to offend: it just looks so very silly. "Look ma, that feller just put his gun in his mouth, just like on TV." On the other hand, as Earnest P. Worrell said, I came, I saw, I got blowed up."

Back