• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How fast can BP revolvers be reloaded?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If we are concerned about replacing time, just get another cylinder. Me, I never think about it reloading. MY 44 Army has six when afield to be used when rifle not appropriate. Six always more than enough. Mostly it is just another BP gun to play with at the range.

I’ve often wondered how fast 19th century black powder revolvers could successfully be reloaded in the civil war or confronting desperadoes given the stress of a situation. Excluding possibly having an extra loaded cylinder acting like a modern day speed loader or having several loaded revolvers, I’m curious just how fast a BP revolver can be quickly loaded using paper cartridges and a capper? I’ve never read any 19th century literature for the civil war or armed confrontations mentioning how quick a BP revolver can be reloaded. Has anyone read or even timed how fast a BP revolver can be loaded without fumbling the paper cartridges, dropping caps on the ground, etc. and all the rounds in the cylinder fire successfully without a mishap? :rolleyes:
Not trying to be funny ,,but trying to load a cap and ball revolver fast is harder than kissing a chicken on the lips.
I have been shooting cap and balls for close to 50 years and never attempted to load one fast or had the need to load one fast.
But if I needed more than 6 rounds ,,I would do what the rebs did during the Civil War ,,I would carry another revolver ,,and another and another and maybe a couple more revolvers on my saddle!

By making a bunch paper cartridges for my C&B revolvers on a TV tray prior to heading to the range & using the Polish capper I bought about 3 years ago
I can reload my Remington & Colt revolvers almost as fast as a loading a cartridge revolver or semi autos clip.
The thought of being assulted by horney chickens is pretty scary, maybe i'll pack a couple extra loaded cylinders 🤣

harder than kissing a chicken on the lips.!
1697212036412.jpeg

By making a bunch paper cartridges for my C&B revolvers on a TV tray prior to heading to the range & using the Polish capper I bought about 3 years ago
I can reload my Remington & Colt revolvers almost as fast as a loading a cartridge revolver or semi autos clip. {end quote}

My thoughts!!! I'd like to see that, no offense Relic but I believe your assumption is BS. If we were standing side by side shooting, I could reload any of my cartridge single action's one round at a time, my double action's loading two at a time or using speed loaders, or any of my semi-auto's using magazines at what would be warp speed compared to you even loading your C&B's using paper cartridges and capping each nipple. Some of you guys get to impressed with what you assume is speed loading with a cap and ball. Some of these assumptions are what forum member 'Bunk' was alluding to in his recent post reference Cap and Ball revolvers aren't toys by new and some seasoned shooters. If anyone of you would ever happen to go up against someone using a cartridge SA, DA, or semi-auto firearm where multiple rounds are fired, where reloading was necessary (and I hope it never happens), your obit would be in the daily paper. I can reload a cap and ball using powder and ball, ramming the ball home with the loading lever pretty fast if I have to, but no way would I want a C&B for defense. I don't need to impress myself or use it as a means to impress others. Just saying!!! Crow Choker

Last edited:
if you count the time it takes you to make them paper cartridges its mighty slow. one of best things I have done is stop makeing paper cartridges. more shooting and less time wasted in the shop. with commercially available paper cartridges BINTD I suspect a good shooter is still going to reload a SAA a heck of a lot faster than a 51 navy. I would like to time a really good shooter and see the difference. I suspect its quite a bit more than some folks on here suggested. heard folks claim that shucking the empties out of an SAA takes the same ammount of time as re capping a cap and ball cylinder and I am not buying that. I have seen guys empty a SAA almost faster than you can see....

With you Nick, this speed concept eludes me. I go to range, watch cartridge guys blow thru ridiculous amounts of ammo in half hour. They leave, i still there 4 hours later. Ya i spend a lot more time loading than shooting. It relaxes me. If i want to speed load, ill get an AR15.

I loved making paper cartridges with the thin curly papers. Could be made in the comfort of my shop and then made it super easy to load at the range. But then started having problems with the tiniest pieces of that thin paper clogging the nipple/cone hole. Actually being blown part way thru and stuck. Using treso cones and they have a small hole. And they were somewhat of a pain to get clean. Do not use the paper any more.

Never meant to imply I was into cowboy speed loading or was faster at casually loading my cartridge handguns at the range.

Yep it takes time at home on a TV tray while watching Gunsmoke to make a couple hundred paper cartridges with the kit I made.
Not having an automated high speed reloading machine I can honestly state I do enjoy the simplicity & low cost of making paper cartridges for my C&B revolvers. I don't miss having to gather, clean & re-size brass on my unmentionables.
*Reloading the poly cartridges for my orig. Smith carbine was easiest of all 🤣

I'll give ya that loading a cap and ball with paper cartridges is faster than using a powder flask, ramming a felt wad (if used), then ramming a lead ball into the cylinder, then capping with a percussion cap.. And I didn't mean to imply that you personally are full of BS, just the thought of reloading a handgun with paper carts can be almost as fast as using metallic cartridges. I don't use paper carts due to the fact I tired it once and got bored doing so and rather like reloading a capper with the lever with loose powder and ball as Ol Sam designed it even though they had paper carts back in the day. Ifin I want faster reload time I can go to one of my Colt Conversions I reload using black powder or one of my unmentionables using a powder deemed to be smokeless. Take care.

If we all preferred the same bangsticks & ammo it would be a dull world.
Our forum is a huge benefit to newbies, vintage forum members with more hands-on experience in
various shooting methods are always happy to help shorten the learning curve.

Many my age started out learning the hard way 65 years ago.
I was very thankful when a local gunsmith & some oldtimers at Friendship volunteered their help & advice.
These folks made muzzleloading a very enjoyable & lifetime sport for many of us..

I absolutly like the lower pace of black powder. I was just responding to several folks who stated that paper cartridges in a cap and ball are as fast as metallic cartridges in a SAA.. Sorry but I am not buying any part of that.

Not trying to be funny ,,but trying to load a cap and ball revolver fast is harder than kissing a chicken on the lips.
I have been shooting cap and balls for close to 50 years and never attempted to load one fast or had the need to load one fast.
But if I needed more than 6 rounds ,,I would do what the rebs did during the Civil War ,,I would carry another revolver ,,and another and another and maybe a couple more revolvers on my saddle!

If you ever inter a 10 shot timed fire match you will quickly find the need for a fast reload !

The fastest reload for any kind of single action revolver is a second revolver. This becomes rather obvious with cap and ball revolvers. I do have extra cylinders for my 58 remis but even those are not really a fast reload.

I’ve been thinking about Indian wars and using single shot pistols and rifles. Think I’d prefer a bow in some cases.

I guess I don't need to remind you about what happened at the Little Big Horn, when the US Cavalry with single shot rifles faced opponents with lever-action repeaters....

Remember that when you reload, even with pre-made paper, you still have to 'do it twice'. Once with the actual cartridges, and again with the caps. Times like that, a 100-capacity snail cap dispenser is a must-have.

Greasy Grass as the Lakota call that battle had a lot of factors besides the trapdoor Springfields getting dirty and jamming but yes a repeater and a quick reload is a good thing.

I'm thinking, reload time would likely depend on if someone was shooting back at you! Hopefully wouldn't find yourself in that situation with C&B revolver, but in these times, who know?

Latest posts

Back